Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convincing parents to let my LDR bf visit us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teens Convincing parents to let my LDR bf visit us?

So my bf lives in the UK and we have never met, I found him online and we clicked like something extraordinary happened, its amazing. We chat everyday for hours and skype twice a week which is good enough and im happy with that. We've been talking for 8 months now (Everyday) and we never ever get bored of each other. Ill save all the love stuff now and get the problem.
    So I told my parents about my uk friend and they first said yes and they'll think about letting him come over here to the U.S (this was 1 month ago) He will be 18 and i'll be 17. The topic of him coming over arises once or twice a week and my parents cant decide.. they say "it would be good if he came and he can stay in the spare room" but then they can be like "he could be a bad person and might harm you" "we don't know him".. which is true but he even said that if they don't like him they can just kick him out. They keep making excuses and bring up bad negatives that only crazy people do but he really is the sweetest, kindest, talented, good looking guy ever.. I trust him totally. We love each other so much and would do anything to make this happen. They haven't skyped him yet tho because i know my mom will say bad stuff although she likes him from what shes seen/heard of him, They aren't against this.

How can I convince them to let him stay? I've agreed to everything they've said and so has he. It's soo confusing and frustrating, I know they want to protect me but that's why he agreed to come over to see my first because my parents will be around and they can get to know him.. they sometimes joke and say this would be good but then other days make him out to be a bas person. ITS FRUSTRATING AND CONFUSING :'(
    I've done all I can but it's a constant cycle of maybe/bad things can happen. iv'e had a few serious convos with them but a decision still hasn't been made. Iv'e been understanding and paciest with this process but it's getting me down. What can I do? thanks.

It took a lot convincing before my parents were even okay with the idea of my SO coming to visit me. It also took a lot of convincing on his part with his parents, too. My parents exchanged emails and phone calls with his before they even came up with a final decision. Also, my mom wasn't sure if it was a good idea for him to spend a whole week on first visit, so he only spent three days. Maybe you can suggest this? It might be easier on your parents. And maybe your parents can speak to his? It might help them feel A LOT better about the situation--I know it did for mine. They were skeptical of how legit this relationship was and kept saying "but you don't really KNOW him.." However, after they talked with his parents, it eased a lot of the tension. Try suggesting this to them and seeing if your boyfriend is okay with this idea as well

Comment

Your parents want what's best for you. They want to keep you safe.
      Think of it this way: how would you feel if some complete stranger stayed over night in your house, and you had never met them, didn't know what they were like or if you could trust him?
      Those are some of the thoughts running in your parents's minds.
      Remember, at the end of the day, your parents love you. They haven't answered you yet for a reason, and you keep bringing it up won't help the decision, 'yes' to come. It'll just make them more antsy and weary of the situation.
      It's not that they think your SO is a bad person. They just don't know him yet.
      Would it be at all possible for him to stay at a hotel or something like that for the first visit? And possibly come over to visit,then meet your folks? That's what my SO and I did when he came up when we met in person. And my parents felt a lot more comfortable with the situation.
      I was in this exact situation before with someone else when I was your age, and because I was so adamant and determined and frustrated and I couldn't understand why my parents were saying no and not answering me--it damaged my parents' relationships with me. And I wound up almost hating them because they wouldn't let the guy come up here and stay here. I'll never get that time back with them. I'll tell you right now: it's not worth it.
      My advice would be just to ease off on them for a few weeks..just give them time. You're their daughter and they want the best possible for you and want to make sure you are safe. If you get your parents to Skype with him one day..it may help. If him staying out of your house is an option, I would definitely think about it. It would probably smooth a lot of feathers. Be patient.

Comment

He could stay at a hotel the first night, meet your parents, and then stay in the spare room. You could also schedule a video chat session between him and your parents. I think they just need to get a feel of who he is. They need to get first hand interaction with them in order to be able to make a fair judgement. If he is all that you say he is, once this is done they should be okay with him staying over! Good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X