Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She has the number, but the card is what we need to get the ID. She didn't get a state ID when moving there from MO (Though she is a NM-born citizen), and her sister has tried with several other forms of ID the site said was valid, and was turned down 100%

Comment

Sounds like she needs to contact a human being then, hun. This is about all we can help you with.
      "Sometimes you just have to let art flow over you."

Comment

This is really out of our realm of expertise, she needs to talk to someone who works with this professionally. Why aren't her parents helping her with this?
        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Yeah I've been calling and emailing offices all day. It's reaching a point of me being unable to do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamrezi View Post
            Yeah I've been calling and emailing offices all day. It's reaching a point of me being unable to do anything.
            Is she doing any of this legwork???

Comment

Not so easy when you don't have a license and your parents work all day lol

Comment

Gotta be even harder when you live in Canada and have no idea how this works in the US.

C'mon, if it's that important to her she can take a bus, train or taxi to the SS office, she's in Albuquerque, not some backwoods swamp. You've done everything you can do, the rest has to be up to her. You can't exactly show up in her local SS office for her. It's great that you're helping, but honestly, she needs to help herself from this point.
                Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Make her do this. She's a big girl. My SO flipped at me cause I was trying to get me to help me find car parts and rightly so. He got frustrated cause the questions got beyond what he could Google. I think you're there too.

I mean what happens you get hold of someone who can actually help? They legally can't talk to you anyway. SSN's are super personal information.

Besides, it's a learning experience for her. If you two truly want to end up closing the distance this little issue is going to look like a cakewalk compared to what's down the road.

Give her the information you've dug up and what whatruckus gave you and let her do this. She is pretty much literally the only person on the face of this earth who is going to be able to solve this. Her parents might be able to help, but she's legally an adult. The system will view her as such whether she thinks she's capable or not.

In my view you've done the duty of a good SO. Now it's her turn to show you how serious she is about this
                  Last edited by merlinkitty; January 30, 2015, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Honestly, you can't do anything for her. You're not her, you're not related to her, and you live in Canada. She needs to do this her self, or her parents need to do it.

Also, if she doesn't have any other form of ID, like I said before, she could use her School ID as a form of ID for her SSN card. Or, as it states on the site, a copy of her Health Insurance card, which she should have if both of her parents work, and also with the new Affordable Care Act. She HAS to have insurance. All she needs to get a new SSN card is a copy of her birth certificate, which I already told you how she can get another copy, but you mentioned she DOES in fact have a copy and either her insurance card or her school ID. But, to be on the safe side, if I were her, I'd send both a copy of her school ID and her insurance card.

Direct from the official Social Security government site:

Identity

We can accept only certain documents as proof of identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age) and preferably a recent photograph. For example, as proof of identity Social Security must see your:

U.S. driver's license;
                    State-issued non-driver identification card; or
                    U.S. passport.
                    If you do not have one of these specific documents or you cannot get a replacement for one of them within 10 days, we will ask to see other documents, including:

Employee identification card;
                    School identification card;
                    Health insurance card (not a Medicare card)
                    ; or
                    U.S. military identification card.
                    I'm not sure why you're making this bigger than it has to be because I've literally given you all the links and information you/she would need. I even got that little bit from the SSN site I linked to you before.

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

It's really not as difficult as you, and she, are making it to be.

If she gets turned down even with these forms of ID, she might need to locate the closest Social Security office and make an appointment and physically go there. I find it doubtful that they would deny her, because they're not supposed to do that.
                    Last edited by whatruckus; January 30, 2015, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Is she in school, does she have a school photo ID? My Dmv takes that as part of your ID. She needs a state ID. She has to go in person. I am in Netherlands right now and just put in "New Mexico State ID" and got this.

https://www.dmv.org/nm-new-mexico/id-cards.php

The internet is the internet if you use the right search words.

So, if you want her nearest SS office, then you search "New Mexico Social Security offices" and you get this.

https://www.socialsecurityoffices.info/state/new_mexico

Also since I travel so much, I often change my default location on my search engine, this might help if you are having trouble. Bottom line is she needs to call these places and go to them herself and with a parent if underage. Many DMVs have one late hour day in the week to help the average working person. She can get it sorted but only in person, this is to prevent identity theft, there is no way around that.
                      "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Something about her legal status here seems off...I came here 2 years ago through legal channels and received SSN number instantly...OP, be sure you are being given the correct info. about her legal status as well as her parents. I work with at risk teens and they all have SSN numbers.

Also, it's pointless getting short with people who have been so kind enough to offer you advice and even given you links. This is a LDR forum and not one designed to give you the answers you seek.

Not once have you expressed gratitude for the information provided.
                        Met Online : July 2013
                        Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
                        2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
                        3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
                        Proposal : December 2014
                        Closed distance : February 2015
                        Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

Well, her profile does say they met through a dislike of other people...
                          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

This situation is ridiculous. She's over 18 and doesn't have her SSN memorized? Doesn't have BC or ID? Did she ever go to school? You can't enroll without those things. You can't claim taxes without those things. Or get a job. Or have a bank account. Or do anything!!! I mean wtf?

Comment

Yes, the tax thing was on my mind. When she was a minor her parents used her SSN to list her as dependent, so any tax return would list it.
                              Last edited by Hollandia; January 31, 2015, 10:39 AM.
                              "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'm 19 and I don't have my whole SSN number memorized however I know exactly where I keep it.
                                "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

Working...
                                X