Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm actually going to visit her!

OMG OMG OMG
    Somewhat accurate way of describing my feelings about this...

So, I'm actually going to visit my girlfriend in America! I'll be leaving the 1st of July and return home 5th of August. I feel really lucky that I get to stay there for so long, and her family seems to be excited about it, and mine does too! We're so lucky to both have such supportive families about this whole thing.

I haven't posted here in probably like 10 months or something, so I'll quickly tell you guys some more about us: Well, we met in 2012 (over 4 years ago!) and last week we had our 2 year anniversary as a couple! So I think it's about time we get to meet..She lives in Ohio, USA, and I live in Northern Norway. I remember the first months of our friendship, she always talked about how I needed to come visit her, and we'd talk about punching the stupid big ocean that was in our way. I always just said things like "yeahh that would be cool" while thinking yeah, like that's ever gonna happen. 4 years later, we're a very loving couple and the distant dream of meeting is finally going to come true! It feels weird and amazing that we were only 14 and 15 when we met, now we're 18 and 20 and finally going to meet each other!

I'm already super nervous. Mostly I'm nervous about the big airports. I've been travelling alone before, but all domestic flights. I'm not sure how I'll handle a big New York airport (I will stop there before going on another flight to Columbus, OH), so I'll gladly take any advices you may have to come with! The other thing I'm really really nervous about is actually meeting her...the first hello to each other in person, the first hug (possibly, if I'm not too awkward to hug her...which would probably be even more awkward!)...I'm just generally really nervous about awkwardness becase we are both super super awkward people xD

So I'm writing this because I'm super excited about it, and also because I want as much information and advice I can from people before I go. Is there anything I need to keep in mind when I travel? And just all the questions similar to that.

Thanks!

Meeting for the first time is so exciting and it's ok to feel nervous. I guess just take the moments as they come. If you both feel comfortable to hug when you see each other you'll know. Try not to over think things and just enjoy getting to see them.

Comment

You have to apply for your ESTA online. I can't remember how much it costs but it wasn't a lot. New York is big, but it isn't bad and it's well signposted. There is a shuttle train that will take you from terminal to terminal and it's really hard to get lost. I've been to New York every time I flown the last 3 times. It's Newark that overwhelmed me a bit (the first time not the second).
      I've flown to Cincinnati which is not far from Columbus. But Cincinnati is actually in Northern Kentucky and it's a pretty small airport. I've been to Columbus once, it's big, lots of tall buildings and beautiful at night.
      Good luck! The first meeting is always nervous but you'll be fine. If the chemistry wasn't there you wouldn't of made it this far
      Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
      All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

Yeah I will apply for the ESTA thing soon, once I get some things sorted out. I'll be landing in Newark actually, is there anything in particular I should know about it so I don't suddenly get lost? Also, I'm somewhat nervous about the whole questioning thing when I arrive in the US...I know some of the things I might expect from that but is there anything I should be prepared for when it comes to that?

Comment

Newark is fine when you are passing though. Sometimes they do a full body xray in a scanner. But it's nothing to be scared of to be honest. My daughter was just a bit worried when she saw it, but they never asked us to go though. I had been asked when I went in the summer but it only takes a few seconds. Customs often ask you questions like what are you visiting the US for? Where are you staying etc. Make sure you have an address.
          Honestly I've never had any issues entering or leaving the US and I found the airports well signposted and easy enough to understand. I did get lost in New York on my first trip. I was in Manhatten and I had some issues with my card. Hmmm make sure you carry some cash if you are traveling anywhere by yourself. I think those are the main things I learned from that situation!

Comment

That is nice to know! I've just gotten the impression that it's really strict which makes me nervous, because what if they think it's weird that a lone 18 year old boys travels from Europe to see a girl? Maybe I'm just overthinking.

Comment

Originally posted by SillyNorthman View Post
              That is nice to know! I've just gotten the impression that it's really strict which makes me nervous, because what if they think it's weird that a lone 18 year old boys travels from Europe to see a girl? Maybe I'm just overthinking.
              Honestly on the first trip I'd just say your visiting a friend. I was worried because I hadn't met him that they might say something. So I said I was there on holiday to visit friends. Which was true, if he had of asked if it was a boyfriend I would have said yes and answered anything else they asked. But the rule of thumb is, don't tell them anything they didn't ask. They can get funny, but it depends who you get. I have only once ever had any questions of a serious nature.

When I came back from the US at Christmas, the UK immigration officer asked to see my court paperwork about my daughter to prove I have permission to travel with her. I never leave the UK with out it. But it was the first time I was ever asked anything like that. I doubt they will think much of it.

Comment

The biggest thing they look for with tourists is that they have no intention to immigrate to the US and/or become a public burden, so you need to show that you have intention of going back home and not just stay in the US. Having a print out of your return ticket to show them is a good idea. If you have a job or are in school, a letter from your employer or school stating that they are expecting you back to work/class in August might help too.

I don't think it's particularly weird for an 18-year-old boy from Europe to want to visit the US. I agree with Ella to say you're visiting a friend. Don't lie to the immigration officers but don't volunteer information they didn't ask for either.
                So, here you are
                too foreign for home
                too foreign for here.
                Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

First time is always nerve wrecking! When I first travelled to Missouri from the UK I had to stop in Chicago and it was my first time travelling alone getting a connecting flight but airports are really well sign posted. I'm travelling again in 10 days over there but this time I'm landing in Atlanta first then onto Missouri, which I'm quite nervous about!
                  I just said I was visiting friends the first time, they asked me stuff like my plans, what I do for a living and how much money I had. It seemed scary but I just answered my questions and they let me through no problem!
                  Me and my boyfriend didn't hug at first instance! We had a really awkward journey of him being stuck in traffic and him blocking the pick up point so I just had to dive in his car in a rush lol. But once back to his it was all fine as if we'd been together in person for years. hope you have a lovely time!

Comment

Just a little update! Thank you all for the advice, it was all helpful! I havent posted anything in a long time because Ive been so busy with my girlfriend I havent really had too much time to be online.

The journey went smoothly, more or less. Stressed a lot through some airports but I'd say I handled the big airports pretty well. Ive been here for almost a month and Im unfortunately going home next week. But Ive had an amazing time, definitely the best summer ever Maybe I'll say more when Im home, just wanted to post a quick update because Im still really excited about everything!

Comment

I admire you both, really, for such a long time without seing each other and now, finally, it did happen! I can't wait for you to tell us how was your trip!

Comment

Working...
                      X