Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Europe to Australia, how does it work?

Hey internet peeps.

So i'm in a ldr for around 650 days now. She's Swedish, I'm Slovenian. We're 1600km apart and in the same time zone. It's pretty perfect. We have our ups and downs like everyone, but we are seriously commited to each other. It's great. We really are head over heels in love with each other and are having a great time.

Problem comes here tho. I'm 22 and in a few months I'll graduate college. I don't have a clue what to do next. There's no real employement opportunities here at this moment and I don't have any real experiences either. So I figured I could as well pack my bags and go on a working holdiay visa to Australia for 1 year. I have all the qualifications and everything and I would be granted the visa. It's an awesome opportunity to meet new people, lay groundwork for my inevitable move out of my own country and to gather the much needed experience for any future jobs. It's awesome in all ways possible. Except the LDR.

Australia (east coast is +10h and west coast +8h) is far away. So if I were to travel there for 1 year it would mean we could barely talk. Just maybe a bit in our mornings and evenings, since she has her classes and wouldn't be able to talk and I'd be working anyways. Problem is that now she feels super guilty over not letting me go since she thinks that this is exactly what I need, but she also says that she might not keep up with talking very little for a year and eventually everything we have might end due to the lack of talking. She feels bad for not letting me go and she feels bad for letting me go. While I do the same. I feel bad that I might ruin what we have and that I might ruin getting just the boost in abroad experience too.

I have no idea what to do. We mean more to us than Australia does, but if you guys have some advice on how hard or easy it is to keep an Australia-Europe ldr, that would be really convenient. I'd like to present her some real life examples so she could be less scared and I want to be less scared too.

My girlfriend really likes to talk with me and I with her. And ever since we met we talk from waking up till sleep time, nonstop. And if I'd suddenly go to Australia, that whole day of me being there for her, would be reduced to very small time and that would also be going on for a year. I need help

Our locations are different, but we have a time zone difference of 11.5-12.5 hours. Not the same as 8 or 10, but still, it can work if you want it to work. Obviously, when she wakes up, it will be afternoon or evening for you, so you can chat as she gets ready and goes to class (and on breaks if she wants). I'm a student and work almost full time, so I just work around my class and work schedule. It's trickier for when you wake up, unless she likes to stay up late, but I've stayed up to 11:30 pm to chat for a couple minutes if he sleeps in.
    It will be an adjustment, for sure. But, just because you're not online at the same time doesn't mean you can't send messages/emails/videos for them to read/watch when they wake up/get free. It all depends on if you (meaning both of you) want to put in the effort and cope with the adjustment to a new form of communication in your relationship. The amount of members on here with 8+ hour time differences and work/school schedules shows it can work if both parties put in the effort. Have an honest conversation with your SO about expectations, set goals, and try to stick to them.
    Going to Australia sounds like a great life and career experience for you, and I wish you all the best in your decision!
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X