Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any LDR tips or something i should know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any LDR tips or something i should know?

so i will be in a LDR in about 3 months and i want to be 100% ready before he leaves
    is there anything, anything you could tell me?
    maybe something u wish u had known before he/you left?
    really just tell me anything lol

The only advice i can give you is be patient. It gets really hard at times. Since your not with them the communication is limit at times. And trust is big too, have to trust your partner, if not it can make you crazy lol, no but its worth the wait. I wish you the best!
    I love you Nathan <3
    sigpic
    5/25/09 <3

Comment

You can't ever be 100% ready. All you can do is make use of the time you have and then try to handle the change as best you can as it will be hard. When you're settled with your schedules once the distance is there, try and plan nights or times to talk that are convenient for you both, make sure you communicate well, and try and trust them explicitly. If you have a problem talk it out with them. Never let assumptions rule your judgment. At the same time don't let the fact they're not physically there rule your life or consume your thoughts outside of work/school. The good thing about a LDR is you can maintain a sense of independence while having a relationship. As I said, it will be hard, there will be times when you'll end up in tears for hours, maybe days because you miss them, but so long as you both maintain equal effort to make things work and make sure the distance is indeed only temporary, you will survive and be stronger for it.

Comment

make sure he gives you a sweatshirt of his you can wear when you miss him, even two or three :P
        promise each other to write letters, to skype, to communicate lots.
        while you're together still, take a ton of photos with him, you'll be glad you have them.
        and, as it's been said already, PATIENCE, and trust, and loyalt
        you have a good support group here

Distance doesn't matter when two hearts are loyal to each other.

Comment

For me, it was important to talk about expectations before we went long distance. People don't always have the same expectations of how often you should talk, how often you should visit, etc. Before I left, we talked a lot about what we both expected/wanted and then agreed on a schedule that was convenient for both of us.

Other than that...just get in as many hugs and kisses as you can, while you still can!

Comment

If you can, have the first trip planned, having something to look foward to seems to be a theme for LDRs. I probably tend to overuse countdowns but they can help in my experience.

Comment

Don't forget to give him something that can instantly remind him of you, maybe your favourite cologne or anything. And oh, keep the communication alive! Good luck

Comment

Patience is key.. In addition to that, I can tell you what works for us.. Text/call as much as you can, SKYPE! (face time is very important.. and it's free!), send gifts (not necessarily expensive things. In fact, free/homemade things are MUCH better, IMO), send letters/cards. Oh and check in on this site whenever you're feeling down. It's been a great source of support for me and lots of people on here.. I've made some great friendships!

Communication is also key in a long distance relationship. Without that, it doesn't stand a chance. I wish you guys the best of luck!
                Live.Laugh.Love.ALWAYS.

Comment

if you dont own a headset, get one. If you dont have a skype account... get one.
                  make sure you can lay down on your bed while you're attached to your PC through your headset.

Communication. Remember thats the most important part of any relationship, try to talk to him as much as you can and to tell him relevant things of your everyday life. Try to make him feel included in it, and talk to him so that he's on the same page as you on this.

if you've already been intimate with him... phone sex or skype sex is something you're probably going to have to get used to...

there's a nice list on this website of things to do with your bf. i believe also that video games is a great activity to do with him, so if you dont play any, maybe u should look into that as something you can do from time to time.

Besides all this, i recommend you try to keep a positive attitude as much as you can. The minute you realize he's not that close to you anymore, its going to really hit hard. So be ready for that and try to remember all the good things between the 2 of you and why doing this is important etc. Keep yourself distracted while you cannot talk to him etc, so that u dont miss him extremely much.. particularly during the first few days after he just left.

get to know his schedule also... and make date nights etc specially if your not going to be in the same time zone.

Comment

The days after he leaves will be the toughest. However down you're feeling, DON'T GIVE UP. The feeling WILL fade in time. Before he leaves discuss how much you want to talk to each other, when will your next visit be, and other stuff that you'd like to have to cope with the distance (letters, packages, etc.). If you want you can frame a picture of the both of you together to keep, or give each other something significant to help remember each other by during the day. (: All the best!

Comment

Others have already given you great advice and I don't have much to add. Communication really is key. To avoid misunderstandings you have to find ways to express yourself clearly in verbal ways. Of course it helps if you can see each other in webcam so you can still see the facial expressions and the body language but there might be times when the connection is too bad for that or you just talk on phone or write e-mails so you can't see each other. If you are used to showing your affection and love in more physical ways you have to find ways to show it in verbal ways too. I wish you luck!

Comment

LIVE your life. Have your own hobbies and fun stuff. Don't live your life on a countdown....holding time till you see him again...while you do this time passes you by and YOU miss out. Life is to be lived one day at a time..not on a countdown.

And be sure to stick around here...this place is great!
                        NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

here is a couple of ideas that my hubby and i have done

1. Have him get you a stuffed animal and spray it with his cologne so you can sleep with it while he is gone.
                          2. write each other letters that you are not allowed to read until after he is gone. Something to read like once he gets on the plane or whatever. My husband isn't good with writing so he made me a video.
                          3. If you can try to find an online game you guys can play together while he is gone. Like Guild Wars or World of Warcraft and if you want you can even find something more simple.
                          4. Get Webcams. My husband and I werent able to do this and I wish we did.
                          5. Discuss what you want to do while he is gone. Once more my husband and I didn't do this and I wish we did. You will realize that you lose a part of your relationship by losing the physical and so you need to figure out what you want to do. Do you want to try and write letters every week or am email? We never discussed this and its causing a lot of problems now

Comment

Working...
                          X