Finding A Place of My Own...But How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding A Place of My Own...But How?

This is probably a dumb question, but I really need this to work out for me. I mentioned last week that my SO and I discussed closing the distance. The way it would work is that I would move to Rochester to study at his college for a one year certificate program. I don't want to live where my SO lives. He lives on campus on a special interest floor, which he absolutely loves. I know how much fun he has with them and his friends live there, so I wouldn't want to "interfere" with that, and I wouldn't fit in anyway because I don't share the "special interest" that they do....computer science. In fact, I really don't want to live on campus at all if I can help it, seeing as I will then be 22 years old and adjusting to dorm life would be weird for someone that age as compared to going in as a freshman. Also, I don't particularly like people very much, so I wouldn't fare very well in a dorm....I hate the dorm conditions when I visit my SO now (though I LOVE LOVE LOVE visiting him). I'm looking into getting an apartment off campus preferably, however not that far away from campus. There's a few apartment complexes nearby that are relatively cheap. But, I'm worried....I'm a broke college student, so I only have limited funds lol. I'm not going to be moving for almost 3 years, so I'm trying to think of ways I can afford an apartment. I do have a job right now, but I only work 10 hours a week. I make more than minimum wage, so I'm doing okay. I can't increase my hours right now because I'm in school most of the time. If I save about half of each paycheck, take some of the money I've saved and put it aside, and start to take my spare change, do you think that could work? Over the summer, I will definitely be working more hours, hopefully 40 hours a week on the same salary, so I will be making more than I am now. I'm really scared this won't be able to happen. Any other advice? Or am I on the right track?

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

There is always tons of cheap student housing near universities. Finding a place shouldn't be a problem. But make sure you get somewhere quiet, especially if you "don't like people" jaja As far as paying for it, most students take out loans to pay for extra things during college. I had a job during school, but if you're going to school full time and working full time you're either superman or stupid, it's just impossible. So, the answer is loans. I just doubt you'll be able to save up enough to pay rent for 2 or 3 years. I don't know what it's like in Rochester, but I'd guess at $500-$600 a month for an apartment, more if you want a one-bedroom. So unless you have some sort of crazy method of saving around $11,000 in 3 years working 10 hours a week, just look into loans.

Comment

I agree with lucybelle. Taking a loan is a good idea if you want to be a full time student. However, if you can get scholarships or grants to help pay for it, it would be a good idea to look into apartment style housing associated with the school. I know a friend who lives technically off campus but in what is classified as apartment style dorms. The only other option I can think of is to take a semester off to save up some money then pick school back up when you have more funds. Also, no family help for you? I know my family would be willing to help me pay part of the bills for a few months to get me on my feet in a situation like that.

Comment

Working...
      X