X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get worried sometimes...

Hi everyone!
    It has only been two days since we officially know we're going to close the distance next summer. However, there is something that keeps getting into my mind and it's driving me crazy.
    He has been accepted to a university close to where I live now (Leiden). I want to study in a city (Utrecht) that's about an hour away. He is also applying there, but we won't find out until May.

He's a great student, so it's likely that he'll get accepted there too. I might not, but I'm still going to the same city then, for something I'll get into anyway. Now the thing is, if he gets accepted to both, he is not sure what he should choose. I have a strong preference for Utrecht of course, not only because I want to be close to him but also because I personally think their academic programme fits him better. It's also much more prestigious. The school in Leiden is very new and hasn't got a lot of international students so far. I just think it would be easier for him to make new friends and build up a life apart from me in Utrecht.

Is it normal that I'm so afraid that he's going to cling to me? I'm not sure why I feel this way, and I don't think it will happen, but he can be really insecure sometimes and I just don't know. I want to support him in any decision, so what I'm doing now doesn't seem fair. We've talked about this yesterday, and it ended up in both of us being upset. He told me he'll tell me he'll go to Utrecht for sure if he gets in, but that's not completely what I want either. I just want him to be happy! What should I do?

It's normal to have all sorts of worries before closing the distance. If you think you're worried, just try to imagine how he feels! Uprooting his life to be near you. The truth is, your relationship might get better, it might get worse, it might last forever, and it might fail. You should be prepared for any of those circumstances. When my SO moved in with me, I had all sorts of plans to get his ass back on a plane to his home country if he started driving me mad. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Comment

Thank you for your comment! I'm indeed hoping for the best! Even though I don't want to prepare for the worst, it's better if we talk about the things that can go wrong too, I guess. He'll be here soon, so I just won't think about it too much until August.

Comment

Working...
      X