Money Worries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money Worries

I posted a thread in November that I have a plan to close the distance with my SO, involving me moving to him. As time went on, our plans changed based on my changing schools, so we'll be closing the distance a year sooner than expected, which also puts more pressure on me financially. I'm looking into renting an apartment up there, but I don't know how I'm going to be able to afford that, as well as buying food for myself (and my SO when he comes over or spends the night at my place). I'm a full time college student, though I had worked a summer job for 3 years and saved almost every penny of that, so I have some money to my name. I am currently working part time making minimum wage for a family friend, where I am a mother's helper to her and I help her with her young children. So, I am making a little bit of money now, as well as the money I saved the past 3 years. I still have expenses here that I do have to pay, like my credit card bill and the lease on my car, though. My biggest fear is not being able to have the money in time to afford everything I'll need in order to close the distance. Any advice? I'm looking to get a full-time job over the summer or looking into a paid summer internship, but other than that, I really don't know what else I can do. I save the money I get for holidays and I am putting money aside already for the move. Am I on the right track? Is there anything else I should be doing to save money? Thanks! I'm so nervous this'll fall through because of poor planning on my part.

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Well, the most important matter is sustaining your presence at the new location. A savings is nice for temporary concerns, but you've not mentioned your source of income while there to continue basic needs. Will you have a job or financial support, because you're going to school?

First: Establish an apartment complex or two that you really like the rates on and location. Guestimate your leasing costs, like upfront payments of rent and deposits. For maximum savings, find an apartment that has "Efficiency" rooms. Literally 1 room (Bedroom/living room/kitcken) in the same area and a closet for the bathroom(legally all bathrooms have to be in a "separate" room). Know how much you'll need before you get there to establish your lease and check the establishments reputability.

If you've got a good number of months before going, if you haven't, get a large value credit card for emergencies. You want to be able to ensure you keep ALL of your physical bank cash untapped in emergencies. There are a great many types of bills that one can't use a credit card on, like loan payments(Car!) and rent. If you find yourself in a temporary financial emergency, like your car breaking down or getting towed, or choosing between food and rent, you can make the smart decision without duress of starvation. It won't help you at all to be unable to pay rent one month and be evicted when you'd have been fine ten months onward after that one hurdle if you had only had an alternative means of procuring money.

WARNING: We all should know credit is not real money, it doesn't mean you can afford what you can acquire with it.

Comment

First, if my story can give you some reassurance, I saved a lot of money before moving here, my boyfriend is working part time, earning minimum wage and we're both full time university students. I have lived here for 7 months without a job, and my boyfriend and I aren't living together (2 rents/bills to pay). And we're doing okay. It'd be nice to have a job, and a lot less stressful, but we'll survive for a little bit longer without much issues.

Now, advice. Get rid of all the credit cards but one. And don't use it. I honestly think that credit cards do a lot more harm than good and at this point, when you're looking to move, you should not even think of putting anything on there. If your SO has a car and you guys are living fairly close together, and are close to campus, consider having just one car. It will be quite an inconvenience, but it's one less expense and ultimately worth it. Food, can be quite cheap if you want it to be, cooking your own meals and freezing them, etc. We split the cost of groceries and gas and extra stuff. I haven't bought new clothes for as long as I've been here, so I realised I didn't need quite as much as I thought I would.

Comment

Working...
      X