The Great Apartment Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Great Apartment Hunt

My SO and I are finally talking about moving in together. The thing is that we're cheap living. He's working at his dad's garage for chump change and I don't have a job nor will I have one automatically once I get to him. How do we find a cheap apartment and what should we keep in mind for the hunt? Has anyone been there? This is the first apartment for both of us so I'm not sure what to do or how to help him. Any advice would be awesome.

Where are you looking for apartments?
    If it's in the United States I've found that apartments listed on rent.com and the likes are always the most expensive. Don't expect any apartments to actually be available until 6 - 4 weeks before you move. Check craigslist and simply drive around the area.

Most apartments you have to prove that you make a certain amount of money beyond the rent or have a cosigner on the lease. If you are going to be on the lease and he doesn't make a lot of money, expect to need a cosigner and find one before you start apartment hunting.

To be really honest, if you don't have a job at all, and he's not making that much money how are you going to afford rent, utilities, cable and food? If you have someone subsidizing your income, they should be your cosigner.

Also they are going to do a credit check.

Comment

I have a little bit of money put to the side right now, about 400. Maybe a little more depending on a few things. We're looking at places that are a little more than half what he makes in a month. As for credit check, this will be in his name. I'll ask him about a cosigner, it should be his dad since he's not even paying him minimum wage it seems to me like he owes him. We're not really planning on a lot of utilities right now. Honestly, I can't see us having more than power and food until I find a job. Which we're both okay with. Right now I've checked his local paper and craigslist but I'm 10 hours away so I can't really job hunt or anything too far in advance since we don't know if it's going to happen or when it's going to happen. That and being ten hours away.

Comment

I'm going to be honest, it doesn't matter if you plan on using utilities or not, but you have to have electricity, water and garbage. Some places charge you for this separately, some places it's included in your rent.

I don't think $400 is enough to have saved for an apartment to be completely honest. You're going to have to pay a deposit, which can be first and last months rent, or in some places $500 or whatever they feel like.

When I got my first apartment we slept on the floor, lived off Top Ramen, and sat on the floor. We had a TV but no cable. You'll be hard pressed to find a place that'll take you if he's not even making minimal wage and you're not employed. I don't want to be discouraging, I'm just trying to encourage you to save up a little more money before you do this. $400 is going to be gone before you even blink your eyes.

In your position, I would STRONGLY ADVISE that if you do move out there jobless and he's not making very much money, you maybe live where he is now for a set amount of time until you can find employment. Or you save enough money to pay for 4-6 months rent, at least $75 a week for food and $75 a month for utilities.

Don't do his blind, it could be a huge mistake. Also, since you're moving to him, ask him to help you find apartments that are in safe neighborhoods, if you look now you can get an idea of how much money you'll need.

As for your situation, I'm in it now, except I'm employed, as is my boyfriend. I'm going to be living on my own at first and I'm saving enough money for 6+ months rent, $75 a week in food (and this is conservative) and then for utilities and gas. I know that I'll be able to find a retail job right away so I'm not worried about moving there jobless, plus I'll be going to school and I have my families monetary support.

I hate to even suggest this, but if saving money seems impossible right now and you're set on doing this RIGHT NOW, I would really suggest getting a loan. There's nothing worse than being broke, close to eviction, with no power because you can't pay your bills. And yes, I've been there.

Comment

Bravo, Sierra.

I'm sorry OP, but if you think $400 is a savings, you're wrong. That's how much one month of rent is. That's how much you'll spend on gas in 3 months. I'm an extremely frugal person and I think it's possible to live on a low income, but don't be naive. Rent varies in different areas, but where I lived in the States was a pretty low cost of living. I paid $519/month in rent. I never used heat or AC and still paid $10/month in gas and $10-15/electricity. I didn't have cable or internet. So just with one month, living as frugally as I did, excluding food you would still be in debt by over $100. And then what are you going to do the next month?

Sounds like you both need to get your lives together before you decide to do this. Get a job. Save up AT LEAST 3-5 months worth of living expenses (probably around $2000-$3000). Then you can think about moving into an apartment.

Comment

I agree with Sierra. Is there anyway you can get a job for a few months before moving in together? They recommend having enough savings to support you for 3 months incase you lose your job. That means ideally $3000 should be saved incase of that, you need to be able to pay rent, utilities, food, what happens if either of you are in an accident and need to go to the hospital? That can cost a ton of money as well. I'd say take some more time and plan this out a little better. $400 is pennies compared to what you are going to need living on your own.

Comment

I'll be honest, I'm saving $7,000 before I move to a place with a lower cost of living than where I live now. $7,000. And it'll be gone in a flash let me show you how:

Moving Expense (I'm disabled and can't move my own crap) = $2,000
              Apartment, deposit: First and last months rent at $659 = $1,318
              Pet deposit for my dog: $400
              Food: $75/week for 4 weeks = $300
              Utilities: I'm guessing $200 for one month (including everything like cable)
              Gas: $150/month (CONSERVATIVE)

In ONE MONTH, I will have spent $4,368 and that doesn't even include the gas to drive out there, and staying at motels on the drive since it'll take two days.

Comment

We are pretty set on doing this soon, honestly. though, soon to us has a different ring to it then to others. I want this to happen in the next few months if it can, though we are trying to be patient. It's tough though, as you all know. And trust me, I have been looking for a job by me. It doesn't seem like anyone even wants to call me back for an interview, forget hire. I know it sounds impatient and childish, trust me, and I know that to most people $400 is not a whole lot. But I think it's more than anyone at all in my family has had at one time in quite a while so I'm trying to work with what we have and so is he. Truthfully, he's going to be talking to his dad about a raise. He works six days a week, 49 hours total, and his father isn't even giving him minimum wage for all the work he does. Even if we can't move in together it would be nice to see him treated fairly, though moving to him is the goal. Soon. Before we both go crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Soyokaze View Post
                  We are pretty set on doing this soon, honestly. though, soon to us has a different ring to it then to others. I want this to happen in the next few months if it can, though we are trying to be patient. It's tough though, as you all know. And trust me, I have been looking for a job by me. It doesn't seem like anyone even wants to call me back for an interview, forget hire. I know it sounds impatient and childish, trust me, and I know that to most people $400 is not a whole lot. But I think it's more than anyone at all in my family has had at one time in quite a while so I'm trying to work with what we have and so is he. Truthfully, he's going to be talking to his dad about a raise. He works six days a week, 49 hours total, and his father isn't even giving him minimum wage for all the work he does. Even if we can't move in together it would be nice to see him treated fairly, though moving to him is the goal. Soon. Before we both go crazy.

I HATE to be so down on you, it doesn't matter if $400 is a lot to your family, it's NOT enough to get an apartment with.

I also sympathize with having to get out of a situation soon, and I moved on a limited income two hours away once, but I had income. I hate to say it but if you both rush out sooner than you have the financial means to you WILL find yourself out on the street, and no place is going to allow you to rent without one of you having an acceptable income or a cosigner.

I want to stress to you how important it is to be prepared. If you're not you're going to end up in a world of trouble.

If you need to get away from your situation and want to be closer to him you might want to find a room to rent in someone's home. They are usually cheaper but then again, nobody is going to let you rent with no job and just $400 in your pocket.

I don't want you to think I think you're being childish, I don't, I just think that this is your first time striking out on your own and you don't know what it's like, most of us have done it before and do. I don't want to see you end up being evicted because $400 won't even cover one month rent in most places and what if you can't find a job right away?

Is there anyway that you guys can live together where he lives now until you find a job and then get an apartment? And I hate to sound so blunt but if his father isn't treating him fairly at work and paying him less than minimum wage (ILLEGAL), he should find a job where he gets paid.

I know it probably seems like we are being really harsh but I strongly advise you to listen to what we're saying, mostly, because we've been there.

Comment

To reiterate what Sierra already said, there is no way you will be allowed to rent without making above minimum wage. I think you're one really bad decision away from ruining the next 10 years of your life financially. Just because you have more money than other people in your family doesn't mean it's enough. When I moved it took me nearly 6 months to find a job. Do you think both of you can live off of $400 and less than minimum wage for SIX MONTHS?

Please, PLEASE rethink this.

Comment

This isn't one of those situations where its better to find out the hard way, it really will throw you for a loop if you aren't prepared and you'll end up worse off then when you started. Take some time make a plan, you are both still young even if you have to wait a year that won't be the end of the world. Also like lucybelle and sierra said work on getting a job first cause you won't even be considered for a place unless you are approved to have enough money and you SO also needs to fix his situation by either getting a proper job or by telling his Dad to buck up and just cause he is his son doesn't mean he can pay him shit.

Comment

I'm not running off to do anything right away, we're just looking at our options right now. And don't worry about me thinking anything bad about you guys, I posted looking for advice and you gave it to me. How could I be upset about that? Chances are that I'm not going anywhere for a while. I appreciate all the advice. I have also been telling him to at least look for a new job, or insist that his dad let him have one of the rentals when they come empty. It annoys me big time that his situation sucks because his dad wants free labor. But, in that much I digress. Thanks again. ^_^ Guess we'll just have to be patient longer.
                        Last edited by Soyokaze; January 18, 2012, 07:41 PM. Reason: I type poorly when I'm laying down, whoopsies.

Comment

Starbucks is almost always hiring. If there's a Starbucks nearby, (I'm assuming you live rent free right now) go there and ask if their district is having a job fair soon. This is when all the managers of the different Starbucks in a district come together and interview on the spot and it's how most people at Starbucks get hired. You can make some money - just put it away and before you know you'll have a decent sized savings that can allow you to move in a way that really won't ... well for lack of a better term, screw you over. Also, I really think your boyfriend needs to quit working for his father and get a job where he makes money.

I want to share my story about when I first moved out on my own. I had come home from college because I was extremely depressed and my home situation was unbearable, all my mother did was scream at me and send me into tears so I went out, found a job (I know times are different now), and immediately rented the first apartment I found with my friend. We have no furniture, we were given a TV and we could only watch DVDs. We literally lived off Top Ramen or Taco Bell (because it was next door) every day. I could only put $3-$5 of gas in my car at a time and this was just enough to get me to work and back.

Eventually, our lease was up there and my roommate moved into another place. She lost her job and I still had mine, but she was no longer making enough money to make her share of rent at her job and things went downhill fast. I wasn't making enough money to make up for her portion of the rent, and LUCKY for me my landlord loved me. He came to me and said that he was going to have to evict us and gave me a roommate release form, which means that I'm released from any liability that comes with being evicted from an apartment, and I signed it and got out.

What happened to my roommate? She was evicted, locked out of her apartment, all her possessions taken away and then could NEVER rent an apartment again because of her record with her eviction. She also had a cat at the time and when she was locked out of the apartment (they do this when you are evicted) the cat wasn't cared for and died, and she was charged with animal cruelty. That's a criminal charge.

Being evicted is also a legal matter and very easily searchable in the court system.

That whole time, I was miserable, in the end, I moved back home and worked my ASS off at a job I knew I would be laid off of by a certain time, as soon as I was laid off, I ran. I moved two hours away where I knew nobody, just had unemployment income which was about $900 a month and barely enough to cover my rent and expenses. At one point my power was shut off and you have to pay the entire amount to have it turned back on. I had to ask my mother for $600 so I could do that.

I did what I suggested you do, I went to Starbucks. I got a job and I worked really really hard. I was promoted 4 months later, and while I wasn't making that much money I was making enough to survive.

Before you do move, make a budget, check out Craigslist where you're looking to move and see what the rental requirements are (most places will list the deposit and if utilities are paid for or not). Realize that the average person eats $100 of food a week, it's easy to budget a much smaller amount but $100 is what you should budget for. Get that budget on your computer, in writing so you can see how much money you need. Once you do that, you can figure out from there how much you need to save figuring in the move you'll be jobless for 4 - 5 months.

I know what it's like to have a situation you want to leave, and I also know life doesn't normally go how we want it to. Don't rush into something like this because it will ruin you financially for 7 - 10 years. It's hard to be patient, I know, but throw yourself into something where you make money and focus on your goals and the time will fly until you guys are ready, I swear.

Good luck! And if you need any budgeting help, I'm just a PM away and happy to help. I know if someone would have helped me when I was first moving out I would have been so much better off, no bad credit, no nothing. But you live and you learn, I think we all just don't want you to end up high and dry.

Comment

I moved here 7 months ago and still haven't found a job. Granted, I'm limited to on campus jobs because of my visa restrictions and those are apparently very hard to get because of insane amount of competition. Chances are, you're not going to have as hard a time getting a job as I am, but still, you want to be very prepared for a situation like that. I saved about 70-80% of what I earned every month for a little over a year before we made the move and it's running out fast, even though I only pay 150 for rent because I'm living in my boyfriend's mom's house. This may be the worst case scenario, but I just wanted to show you that it could happen.

My boyfriend's paying about 295 for rent, not including utilities, garbage and internet. He lives with 3 roommates and as far as I know is considered one of the cheaper places, if that helps you gauge how much you'll need.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X