Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How and When do I tell my parents about him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How and When do I tell my parents about him?

Okay...my SO and I have been together for about 8 months now and we've been talking about our future together.

But let me tell you how we met and came to be.
    June 2011, I was feeling down and I posted a journal on my deviantART account about it.
    He just started watching/following me then and send me a note about my MSN address, as I have also posted requests if people wanted to add me on their messenger list.

The first week, we were pretty friendly and got along ok. But into the second week, I couldn't explain what I felt. I would remember the chat sessions we had and how unusually sweet and open he was with me. I even caught myself giggling in front of class while doing a group report!

He's also asked me if I could be his girlfriend in the same week.
    (I know what you guys are thinking. I took it too fast. I must admit, I've recently started jumping to conclusions that month and beyond...)

On a rainy June 23rd(Thursday), I answered him.
    I wasn't 100% serious and was afraid that our relationship would extend beyond the comfort of our screens.
    But as the months passed, I got used to it.

We even found out that we were alike in so many ways.
    Like, we talk to ourselves, love cookies, afraid of spiders, grew up with the same cartoons, etc.

I WAS in a relationship, but it physically didn't feel like it.
    There were times that I questioned his faith.
    But he remained true.
    He respected me and my opinions and listened to what I had to say.

Sorry for the TL;DR story.
    Now, for the problem.

Like I've said before, I'm currently a college student and I'm going to graduate in at least 2 years.
    I'm almost 19 and this is the first ever relationship I've ever had.
    The only person who knows about this is my best friend.

From time to time, my SO and I have been talking about how I would be able to tell my parents about him. We did agree that I should one day tell my dad, as my mom doesn't trust anyone over the internet.
    (She believes most people who want to talk to you are perverts/pedophiles or scammers)

Yes, we've seen each other over the webcam.
    Yes, we DO discuss touchy subjects.
    Yes, we ARE very open with each other.

I'm afraid to tell my parents now, because they will say that:
    1. "You are TOO young to be dating."
    2. "You're in college, you have to concentrate on your studies."
    3. "You met this person online? What were you thinking? What if this person is a liar/scammer/rapist/etc.?"

My SO had once suggested that I introduce him to my parents as an exchange student that I met in my campus.
    But I figured that that idea involves a lot of research and practice.

I've seen that most people in an LDR meet after they've been together FOR A YEAR.
    I'm not sure if I can wait for at least 2 years to tell my folks about it.
    I'm really scared.

Joined in 2012. Restarted in 2017!

Start off by mentioning something someone said online. If you are having a conversation about horses you could slip in, this guy I was talking to said that horses have 6 hearts! Don't use that but you get the point. Slowing start talking about him as a friend so they get used to the idea about him, a little white lie about where or how you met online is okay. Once they get used to the name and that you chat to him once and a while then bring up. Hey so you know that guy I talk to sometimes, I think I like him he had a really great personality. Introduce the idea to them slowly and they should be more accepting then if you straight up 'I am dating a guy online I never met!"

Comment

Just tell them they might be more understanding than you think, especially when they meet him and see the two of you together

and expect the stupid statements, people will say all those and than some

Comment

Working...
      X