Obtaining Canadian Work Permit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obtaining Canadian Work Permit

I'm not sure if this is in the right category or not, but does anyone have any experience or advice regarding this process?? I've consulted the CIC website and some other resources but yeah... any help is appreciated, thanks

What kind of information do you want to know and... what is your situation... do you have a job? Where are you from etc..?

Comment

I have no idea myself but I'll try to compare it to getting an Australian Work Permit

Have you got a university degree? From what I gather, the Canadian government issues permits on a points scale. How much work experience have you had in said degree (if applicable). What was your income for the past year? Is your current employment on the required workers list? (The list of jobs which Canada is deficient in)?

Comment

ah I need the same information

Comment

Originally posted by lala View Post
          ah I need the same information
          I just read up on it (the Canadian Immigration website).

It would probably be a long process. I think it would be quicker if you had qualifications that Canada needs. I don't think you would have much luck if you didn't have a university degree and don't have qualifications in an industry that Canada is searching for. Most immigration policies these days are biased towards educated persons.

Comment

Well I'm studying here to become a teacher. I would have to study a few more semesters in Canada.. but first of all I would need a permanent resident card.
            Would there be less problems if I were married?

Comment

Well I'm studying here to become a teacher. I would have to study a few more semesters in Canada.. but first of all I would need a permanent resident card.
              Would there be less problems if I were married?
              Getting a Student Visa would be much easier than a Work Permit. If you have the money and you get accepted by a school, it should be pretty straightforward.

If you got married and Canada recognised it? I figure it would be like the EU policy (Automatic Residency and Work Permit)

Comment

Well that's the thing- studying in Canada is expensive. I would need first to find a job and work there maybe for one year,then transfer my credits and continue studying.. But I can just stay 6 months legaly in Canada and would also need to have a work permit. I could take the common-law ..(I'm not sure if it's the right word for it) but then we would have to marry in the next 9 months.

Comment

I understand your problem with getting married. I am planning on moving to Europe in the future and I have the same issues.

Would you be able to get scholarships to study in Canada?

Comment

I don't know. I think you only get those scholaships if you're returning back to your homeland. I thought about going to Canada for 5-6 months, try to find work (eg. bar tending,work in a shop..etc.) then go out of the country for a week or so, come back be there a few more months and then decide if we want to marry, so then I could get this common-law thing and then marry finally lol
                    I think we would need about one year to see if it would work between us..

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
                    I understand your problem with getting married. I am planning on moving to Europe in the future and I have the same issues.

Would you be able to get scholarships to study in Canada?
                    and where you wanna go?

Comment

Fair enough. Luckily you are able to get a Working Holiday Visa!

And I'm not certain on where we would live. She is Estonian and lives in Tallinn, but she wants to move somewhere else in Europe. I figure from my experiences with Estonian Immigration that it would be easy to get immigrate to Estonia but I'm not certain about other countries.

Comment

Unless you are a highly skilled worker that’s in great demand you will NOT get a work permit. It’s almost unheard of. If you want to work in Canada, you will need an employment visa, which is much harder to get than a tourist visa - as your employer will have to show they NEED you, and no Canadian wants the job. You also need to enter Canada on this visa; you can't change once you are here without leaving the country.

Comment

I'm not sure about the working holiday visa, I think there is a limited number.

I'm not sure about Estonia but if you decide Germany I can look it up for you. But why doesn't she move to Australia (if I may ask)?

Comment

The catch (as in all countries with that scheme) is that you get the work permit if you are married to a national.

I'm not sure about the working holiday visa, I think there is a limited number.

I'm not sure about Estonia but if you decide Germany I can look it up for you. But why doesn't she move to Australia (if I may ask)?
                            I have no doubt about that, but I know heaps of Australians who have gone over there with that visa. It took them around a month to get the visa. I don't think it is a hard visa to obtain as long as you have a few thousand dollars in savings.

I know Estonia needs money so they let people in easily. They don't get people who want to freeload off the welfare system as they don't really have one.

She could move to Australia but it costs about $23,000 AUD per year to study. It is just as hard to get her here unless we marry.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalfever View Post
                              Unless you are a highly skilled worker that’s in great demand you will NOT get a work permit. It’s almost unheard of. If you want to work in Canada, you will need an employment visa, which is much harder to get than a tourist visa - as your employer will have to show they NEED you, and no Canadian wants the job. You also need to enter Canada on this visa; you can't change once you are here without leaving the country.
                              ok but what for a visa would I need for working in a bar or shop, those jobs I don't need an Universit degree or any "special skills"?
                              and can I get a common-law visa when I'm in the country,shoudl work?

Comment

Working...
                              X