Moving from England to Republic Of Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving from England to Republic Of Ireland

I've spent hourse looking on the internet trying to find out what I'd need to move to Republic Of Ireland. I am an EU citizien living in England, all of my documents and my passports is up to date, and should stay that way for the next few years. I'm currently working full time and have been since about October oast year, and will be working until September, or for longer if I chose to.

I'm sixteen now, seventeen next month. My boy lives in Cork City and is a month older than me. I am planning on moving sometime towards the end of April next year, and think that I would be moving in with him and his family as we won't be able to afford a place of our own straight away, or until we manage to find our own way of secure income.

I know: that I don't need a visa because I'm an EU citizien, have to register with the Garda (?) after I arrive, must be supported while I am there, I don't need to become an Irish citizien, I can only obtain a permit to work/green card once I have a job offer - and it could take anywhere between weeks to months before I would recieve it, and by the looks of it, I can only stay for a few months. However, different sites have said different things. If I am supported then I can stay for longer because EU citiziens have the same rights as Irish citizeins, its just not official, but then I also read somewhere that you are only allowed to stay for a few months.

Does anyone know what the procedures would be and what (if any) documents would need completeing and laws and rules about moving from England to Republic Of Ireland?

Call an English embassy and find out. Also, there should be info on the English embassy website.

Comment

Oh thanks

Comment

If you're both EU citizens and there's no special rule for the UK and Ireland, then you can stay there for three months without any registration. If you want to stay longer, you need to register and get a residence permit.
        In practise it's not really necessary, because it's very hard to prove that you stayed in Ireland consistently for more than three months, seeing as in the EU we don't need to have passports and they don't get stamped. As far as I know the worst that can happen if you get caught residing in another EU country permanantly without having a residence permit is that you have to pay a fine. I've stayed in other EU countries for longer than three months without legalizing my stay twice and nothing has happened. I tried to do it the first time and got as far as applying for a residence card, but I never went to pick it up I guess I'd rather do it now, just to be safe. The stupidest things happen when you don't expect them. If you happen to be say the witness of an accident and the police take your personal data, such things can cause more problems than it's worth.

My boyfriend, who's also an EU citizen, has worked in Ireland before. I can ask him again, but I think all he needed was to apply for some number (social something?), but he could start working right away. I think it would be the same for you.
        Last edited by Dziubka; March 6, 2012, 08:24 AM.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Oh thanks Dziubka! That's great help, I really appreciate it

Comment

You need to get your PPS number from what I remember, it's like the NI number I just needed proof of address and ID to register for it. And don't lose your PPS letter, they never issue a new one!! And registering with the garda is easy, I believe you need the same thing as for the PPS, but it costs about 150 euros.

Woo Cork boys, my SO is from Cork too

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
            Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

Originally posted by kteire View Post
              You need to get your PPS number from what I remember, it's like the NI number I just needed proof of address and ID to register for it. And don't lose your PPS letter, they never issue a new one!! And registering with the garda is easy, I believe you need the same thing as for the PPS, but it costs about 150 euros.

Woo Cork boys, my SO is from Cork too
              I don't even know what PPS and NI numbers are! Haha Thanks, and I'll make sure not to lose it! Does it take long to wait for it? I've seen in some places that it can take months for paper work to be finished. Thanks a lot though

Yes defineatly!! Aww that's awesome! I actually have relatives from both sides of my family who are Canadian and live in Canada!

Comment

I've just asked my boyfriend and he said he got his PPS (that's the number I was talking about in my earlier post) about a week to 10 days after applying for it.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyDimples View Post
                  I don't even know what PPS and NI numbers are! Haha Thanks, and I'll make sure not to lose it! Does it take long to wait for it? I've seen in some places that it can take months for paper work to be finished. Thanks a lot though

Yes defineatly!! Aww that's awesome! I actually have relatives from both sides of my family who are Canadian and live in Canada!
                  The NI number is your national insurance number, I had to get it when I moved to the UK in the fall As far as I remember my PPS number didn't take very long to come, maybe a week at most. I don't think I actually had to have it when I started applying for jobs, just had to say I had applied and was waiting to get the letter. If you're moving to Cork, it's a much smaller office and it's pretty quick. If I recall correctly, you should be able to call after about 48 hours to get your number, even though the letter takes longer!

I'm so jealous, I lived in Cork for a year, and I miss it every day!!

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
                  Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

Originally posted by Dziubka View Post
                    I've just asked my boyfriend and he said he got his PPS (that's the number I was talking about in my earlier post) about a week to 10 days after applying for it.
                    Oh thanks! I was thinking that it was going to take ages, but then maybe I was reading about different papers or something Do you know anything about work permits over there?

Comment

Originally posted by kteire View Post
                      The NI number is your national insurance number, I had to get it when I moved to the UK in the fall As far as I remember my PPS number didn't take very long to come, maybe a week at most. I don't think I actually had to have it when I started applying for jobs, just had to say I had applied and was waiting to get the letter. If you're moving to Cork, it's a much smaller office and it's pretty quick. If I recall correctly, you should be able to call after about 48 hours to get your number, even though the letter takes longer!

I'm so jealous, I lived in Cork for a year, and I miss it every day!!
                      Ohh... well now don't I feel slow hahahha Ohh well I am actually so glad to hear that! I was thinking it would take ages, and that I would need it all to present at interviews. Well, paperwork always does seem to take a while longer anyway! Thanks
                      Why don't you go back some time for a little while? It really is a nice place to move to then? I can't wait to move over!

There is one thing though, at the minute I've only got my GCSE's -which are good grades, all A-C's- because I didn't go to college. I should be there now, but I'm working full time. In my opinion that's a better route anyway, but it only came about because I was originally going into an Army college this month, but decided defineatly not (I actually went up to Edinburgh to do my two day tests!). So I can't join back into college and there isn't any point in me starting college over here in September when I will be moving to Ireland in April-May next year... Do you know what type of qualifications I will need. Are there any that are specifically needed for Republic Of Ireland? Will I need college qualifications? Of course though, I am thinking about College/University in Cork, just there is the money issue there. What kind of part time job do you think would be best for me if I decide on College/University?

I should add that I do have a recognised health and safety certificate - IOSH, but don't know if it is of any use over there, and I'm also doing a course next month for Train the Trainer. Which will mean that I am qualified to train people, though I'm not sure in what areas. Sorry for more questions, and I really appreciate all of the replies that I have gotten!

Comment

Working...
                      X