Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far are you in reaching your financial goal to close the distance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for savings, I was working 50 - 70 hour weeks for pretty much 4 months straight, which gave me a good chunk of change and because I'm going back to school, my mom agreed to take out ONE of my student loans and pay me the amount for the loan which added an extra $3,500 onto what I have saved. I feel like I'm cutting it close, but I should be good. I hope I'll be good.

Comment

We haven't started saving for neither marriage nor closing the distance yet, but I'm hoping after we reached a decision in July we're going to work on it.

Comment

we're hoping to close the distance for a year, when I get my work holiday visa to Australia. right now I have about $1300, and pretty soon I'll be getting my security deposit back from my landlord so that'll get me up to $1500. I'm graduating from college in a few weeks so hopefully I'll get some money from my family and such... I'm expecting to have $2000 by the beginning of June, which is totally enough to cover my flight! BUT the problem is to apply for the work visa, I have to have "proof of funds," which is $5000, so I have to save quite a lot more money before I can even apply for my visa. it's frustrating.

I can work the whole summer and make the money, but I'm considering borrowing the money from my grandma, applying for my visa as soon as possible, just so I have it and so I can book my ticket for September, then the money I make over the summer I can just use to pay her back... I hate borrowing money, especially when it's a few thousand, but I don't really want to wait until the last minute to get my visa and stuff when I'd really like to be back in Australia by September. the only reason it has to be by September (besides the fact that we will have been apart for about 7 months by then and I'll be super anxious to see him) is that with the work visa I can stay for 12 months and ideally by the following September I'd be starting graduate school so I'd have to be back by then.

so many things to take into consideration!

Comment

the money does really freak me out. We are trying to pay for all the things we need to pay for just with our incomes/short term savings. We do have a large amount of 'long term' savings that is there for a deposit on a house mainly and we REALLY don't want to have to dip into that..

but with the trips to pay for between now and when we close the distance, travel insurance, getting his driving license, paying for visas, general expenses and possibly having to pay for our wedding when we close the distance it is going to be TOUGH. I get really freaked out by the money side of it if i think about it .

My mum has mentioned in the past that its her view that the brides parents pay for (or at least help pay for) the wedding... but with my parents money situation over my entire life I don't know how able they will be to do that even if our wedding is in 2 years or more, I would hate to be the cause of their money stress too.

bleh money.
          Met Online: February 2009
          Feelings grew: January 2011
          First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
          Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
          Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
          Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
          Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
          Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
          Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
          Engaged: 1st of July 2012
          Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
          Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
          Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
          Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
          Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
          Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

We're gonna be doing some numbers tonight, hopefully. He's getting paid today. He's got a few things to take care of so it will take some out of the paycheck, but there still should be some left. Like I said, when we did the math, it seemed as though I'd be able to get there in July. I am hoping it's in the beginning of July. He got me an apartment rental book before I left to look at. I saw pictures of my old friend living in a place with her husband and kids today and it was bittersweet; I'm so glad she's happy, but when I saw them I realized how badly I can't wait to live with my boyfriend. I can't wait to have our own place and get life started instead of being stuck. He says he thinks we're making good time.
            candi ❤ austin
            ღ5.11.2011ღ
            ❤ First Meeting [Texas] 2.17.2012 - 2.23.2012 ❤
            ❤ Second Visit [Wisconsin] 4.23.2012 - 4.30.2012 ❤
            ❤ Got Engaged 5.11.2012 ❤
            ❤ Closed The Distance June 24th, 2012 ❤
            [/CENTER]

Comment

We nowhere really close, but we're making strides. He just gut a better paying job. I'm picking up more hours plus looking for a better job. Trying to stay optimistic through it all...
              sigpic
              Not to get clever
              but with you I see forever
              But whatever it is,
              Here's to you,
              I Love You Kid...

Comment

We only have about $200 (not flat, but in that range) left to go. Between my work at home and his job, plus finding a cheaper option to close the distance and get us out of where we're both living, we moved pretty fast. We seriously thought this was gonna take much longer than it has. We only need basically about $100 more for the place we're gonna stay at and my ticket money and some extra for food on the way which my mom has agreed to help with. We're good. I'm good. He's good! I did say I wanted to stay here for my mom's birthday, but past that, I am outta here already!
                candi ❤ austin
                ღ5.11.2011ღ
                ❤ First Meeting [Texas] 2.17.2012 - 2.23.2012 ❤
                ❤ Second Visit [Wisconsin] 4.23.2012 - 4.30.2012 ❤
                ❤ Got Engaged 5.11.2012 ❤
                ❤ Closed The Distance June 24th, 2012 ❤
                [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                X