Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Fiance's Visa was Refused. Anyone else dealt with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Fiance's Visa was Refused. Anyone else dealt with this?

This week was supposed to be the happiest week of my life. It was supposed to be my first week living with my fiance. We were supposed to get married next weekend. I had to send out un-save the dates. He lives in London and I live in Dallas, TX, which is where he should be living right now. His K-1 Fiance Visa was refused under Section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act and we're in "additional processing." The Embassy won't tell us why it was refused under Section 221(g). He's never committed a crime, never violated his visitor's visa, never been arrested. They said we'd hear back in 2-3 weeks and it's been almost 8 weeks now. I've never been more frustrated or heartbroken in my life. We've had Congressmen call the Embassy for an update and all they say is that our case still needs additional processing and that "they're very aware of our wedding date." Has anyone else dealt with this? How long did it take to hear back?

wow...that's hard to cope with.... I am sorry..

does he have financial issues in the UK perhaps? and that he has to solve these things first before he is able to get to you?

just a thought...
    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.

Carl Jung (1875 - 1961)

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear that. I've never had to deal with this as both me and my SO are in the EU, so I cant give you advice on this. But I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that everything will be solved soon. This is a very sucky position to be in right now. Hugs!

Comment

If you haven't already, check out visajourney.com where there's tons of people who can answer your question. Best of luck.

Comment

My SO has had his visa denied twice to come visit me... the second time we were applying, something was wrong with the online application form, and it took about a month and a half of slow back-and-forth, unhelpful emails before he was able to set up an interview appointment, the date of which he was unable to choose and ended up being AFTER everything we had planned. Holiday completely ruined. And then they denied him anyway. We tried asking them why it was denied AGAIN and they just said he didn't have enough proof that he would return to his country, even though he had and showed the consulate every single document we could find that might be asked for, including property ownership, a letter from his employer, and a transcript and confirmation of his full-time enrollment in a prestigious public university in his country.

You're not the only one who has had issues with them-- a quick google search will show you that. The US immigration agency has never had a very good track record for awarding visas when they are rightfully needed.

This page has some helpful, well-written information from a law firm... but as for the processing, who knows when they'll finish. I know you want to believe they have some compassion, but they don't. Does the paper they gave you have any instructions-- and did you follow them?

Edit: Wow, is this you? https://www.the33tv.com/news/kdaf-da...0,361070.story
          Last edited by kittyo9; June 7, 2012, 09:03 AM.
          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

i'll second lucybelle, please check visajourney.com if you havent already. They are awfully helpful on there. Good luck!

Comment

Haha, yeah, that's us on that news story! How did you find that? I can't believe what all you and your SO have gone through! Where does your SO live? And it was the US Gov denying his visa? ugh, I'm so frustrated. I can't believe I was supposed to be getting married next weekend. The paper they gave us didn't give ANY instructions. They said they didn't need us to send anything else in. So we just have to wait. You're not kidding about that whole NO compassion thing. THey could at least pretend to care, couldn't they?

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

No financial problems. He's saved up thousands of dollar in preparation for the move here, because once we're married he won't be allowed to work until he gets his Employment Authorization documents, which usually takes about 3 months. The whole process is so freakin ridiculous and expensive. Why can't love just be enough?

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Thanks! I'm happy to hear you don't have to deal with this. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, that's for sure.

Comment

Oh my god. I just read the forums there and freaked myself out. Looks like we have a LOT of waiting to do

Comment

Originally posted by WhitforBrit View Post
                  Oh my god. I just read the forums there and freaked myself out. Looks like we have a LOT of waiting to do
                  A lot of things can go wrong, just know that you guys are not the first couple nor will you be the last. My boyfriend and I will file for a spouse visa once we get married. *crosses fingers* I'm already nervous about it!

Comment

Originally posted by WhitforBrit View Post
                    Haha, yeah, that's us on that news story! How did you find that? I can't believe what all you and your SO have gone through! Where does your SO live? And it was the US Gov denying his visa? ugh, I'm so frustrated. I can't believe I was supposed to be getting married next weekend. The paper they gave us didn't give ANY instructions. They said they didn't need us to send anything else in. So we just have to wait. You're not kidding about that whole NO compassion thing. THey could at least pretend to care, couldn't they?
                    Since he was applying for a tourist (B-2) visa, it was up to the US consulates he interviewed with to decide whether he got the visa or not. He's from Peru, which makes it harder for him to get a visa, since it is a developing country and there are a lot of illegal Peruvian immigrants in the US (some of which are there illegally through expired visas). And to think, I don't even need a visa to visit him.

I don't remember exactly how I found that article... I think I was just googling things like "K1 visa denied" and it popped up as a news article and I was like, "Either this is a crazy coincidence or it's her!"

And seriously! I even had my family write TWO letters inviting him to stay with us in the states for a few weeks (although I've read things that suggest it won't help much-- I just figured it might help his credibility). It's just baffling how much work you can put into the process and how little you get in return.
                    Last edited by kittyo9; June 8, 2012, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kittyo9 View Post
                      Since he was applying for a tourist (B-2) visa, it was up to the US consulates he interviewed with to decide whether he got the visa or not. He's from Peru, which makes it harder for him to get a visa, since it is a developing country and there are a lot of illegal Peruvian immigrants in the US (some of which are there illegally through expired visas). And to think, I don't even need a visa to visit him.
                      (not to take this off track) But what makes me nervous about your situation, kitty09, is that if you end up getting married or try to file for a fiance or spouse visa, they'll be skeptical since he was denied for his tourist visa multiple times. It might be interpreted as he's trying to find any way possible to get in. But anyways, you'll have to cross that bridge when you get to it.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                        (not to take this off track) But what makes me nervous about your situation, kitty09, is that if you end up getting married or try to file for a fiance or spouse visa, they'll be skeptical since he was denied for his tourist visa multiple times. It might be interpreted as he's trying to find any way possible to get in. But anyways, you'll have to cross that bridge when you get to it.
                        I know, it bothers me, too. It's kind of counter-intuitive... how am I supposed to see him at least x number of times in the past 2 years if only one of us is allowed to visit the other? We know we're good people with good intentions, but the hard part is proving it. To tie it back into the main post, even the most well-meaning couples with everything set up can be taken for a ride.

Comment

The thing is i can undertand why the USCIS are like that. Ive read so many threads regarding visa fraund just on visajourney.com Its really sad when the US citizen puts their heart and soul into a relationship to just be used for a bloody visa. On one hand i agree they should be really strict on immigrant visas, on the other hand it seems like they sometimes get it so wrong. For those of us who are really in this for a relationship it is just awful. We're going to apply for a CR-1 (spousal) visa by the end of the year and im so worried. My man isnt... Im even worried about going to the states this summer on the VWP.

Comment

Originally posted by ChibiFelicia View Post
                            Im even worried about going to the states this summer on the VWP.
                            I get freaked out every time my SO goes to the states. I always make sure he brings lots of proof he's going back to his home country. He's gotten through fine every time, but it still makes me nervous!

Comment

Originally posted by ChibiFelicia View Post
                              Im even worried about going to the states this summer on the VWP.
                              I have the same worries. Just been there now for two weeks and will be back in less than two months for five weeks. Fingers crossed.

I hate all these visa troubles

Comment

Working...
                              X