X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needing Your Wisdom With Our Dilemma

The Basics:
    My boyfriend and I met November 2010 and we truly hit it off instantly. We were both unsure of long distance but were willing to try so in March 2011, we began dating. At the time, I was living in Pittsburgh and he was living in Calgary, both working and dreaming of becoming doctors. I made the trip to Calgary in May 2011, July 2011, and November 2011 and everything was going great. I had applied to PostBac Master's programs and was accepted for fall 2011 but turned down my seat wanting to go straight into medical school rather that spend the extra time and money getting a degree I will never use. I was accepted to several medical schools in the Caribbean for January 2012 and after much discussion with my boyfriend, I accepted and began school immediately. During my first break, he flew down to the island and we spent 3 weeks enjoying the beaches and hiking, it was great.

The Issue:
    I started my second semester days after he left and began intensely missing him. For the first time, he started vocalizing he was missing me. We have been brainstorming his start to medical school but nothing has been set in motion yet. Last night, he told me he was getting annoyed by long distance. My mind instantly started to race and I couldn't hold back the tears even though I was sitting in a public study space. I have truly never been happy with the education I am getting here and I have been depressed with being alone on the island (I even wound up in the ER after passing out from a mix of stress, exhaustion, and inability to cope with the heat). I would willing take a leave of absence to move in with him but the problem is that it would be a temporary fix and we cannot find a solution that is both immediate and permanent. My bachelor's degree does not qualify me to gain employment without spending years in school gaining extra credentials and being an American citizen moving to Canada, I could not gain employment without a signed job offer. While there are jobs on the Caribbean island for him, the pay is not as good as his current job, him moving here does not get us closer to his admittance to medical school, and if everything goes as planned, I will be returning to the States next May at which point he couldn't gain employment being a Canadian citizen living in America. We are both fully committed to this relationship and we both wish to marry one another in the future but our present is causing many strains in our happiness.

Please, if you have any advice, suggestions, or a story similar to ours share it with me?

Don't be a sad panda, it's alright. Everyone gets fed up with the distance, that does not mean he's fed up with YOU. Distance just sucks some mad monkey balls really.

Visas are hard. Visas involving the USA seem even harder for me, from the outside looking in there seem to be ridiculous rules to be followed and not enough options. Canada seems pretty easy to get into though, at least in comparison to my country I guess it's just time to really look at your visa options. Look into working holiday visas as temporary fixes. Look into study visas - who knows maybe you could get lucky and transfer? You don't need to be in the same place the whole time and you probably don't need a permanent fix just yet.

It seems the main thing holding him back from being with you is the change of job/ cut in pay. I know how hard that is to take, when I moved to Canada from Oz I was appalled that I had to get out of bed for $10 an hour, but it's just money. It can't buy you happiness, you can't take it with you when you die, and you can always make more of it. Granted, the big fear there would be if he could get employment again when he goes back home. But, if he doesn't want to do distance anymore, there's an option open to him.

The thing I'm always telling people is: your lives wont just magically come together - you will need to make that happen. So look for an opportunity where one person isn't being held back by too much (no sick family, kids, inflexible schooling, whatever) and take it. You can sketch in the rest of the plan later
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Working...
    X