MTV True Life: I'm Relocating for Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MTV True Life: I'm Relocating for Love

Has anyone else seen this episode??? If so, what did you think??? I saw it on TV last night, and I was really happy to see something about long distance relationships on TV. Basically, the show followed three long distance couples who were finally closing the distance.

Because my boyfriend moved closer to be with me in December but ended up moving back home for a number of reasons, I could really relate to this episode. It sort of reminded me that, although we might see moving to be together as the end picture, it can be a REALLY difficult transition. I was sort of shocked at the end at who stayed together and who didn't, but it goes to show that love is not the only factor that plays part in a relationship. One question it made me ask was this: Do you have to love the city as well as the person that you are moving to be with?

Here is a summary off MTV.com:
    How much would you sacrifice for the person who means the most to you? On this episode, you'll meet three young people torn between everything they know and being with the one they love.

Bailey just graduated from college and is ready to start her career. But, her long-distance boyfriend is threatening to break up with her if she doesn't move to his hometown in Texas. Can Bailey find happiness in a place she doesn't like?

Trevor was a beach bum by day and a party boy by night. Then one day, he met the girl of his dreams. The only problem - she's far away in a small town. Now, Trevor is trading the beach for the farm.

Jasmine, a new mother, wanted to move to Atlanta to be with the father of her child. But, with no family or friends around for support, the new mother has been overcome by loneliness and isolation. Will she find a way to adapt to her new surroundings?

They are moving into uncharted territory and finding that the terrain is treacherous. Will they stay... or will they go?

Here is a link if you want to watch the show!
    https://www.mtv.com/videos/true-life...playlist.jhtml

This sounds cool! I'm not really a telly person, but I just might watch it anyway. It might be helpfulish. Thanks for posting! I never hear anything about tv unless it's dumped in my lap
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

never even heard of it but if i remember i'll watch it

Comment

It's on now...I'm watching it....

Comment

I watched it awhile ago and while I think it was realistic I sensed that these couples weren't really committed to the idea of moving, or rather they did it because they felt they had to and ended up resenting it and their SO's a bit. I've long since come to terms with closing the distance even though I'll be leaving the 5th biggest city in the US for a small town in upstate NY with the population of 2k.

It's all about knowing what you're getting yourself into before you move rather than just moving for the heck of it.

Notes:
          Met: 8.17.09
          Started Dating: 8.20.09
          First Met: 10.2.10
          Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I found myself in an odd situation. I met my boyfriend from Northern Ireland when i was doing a masters there. We got together on my last night. I then moved back to the republic. I was very lost after i finished college and could not find work in the republic. I decided to look for a job in Northern Ireland. I got it. So by the time we had been together hardly 3 months, i had already moved closer to some what close the distance. The distance is not however fully closed as he is still a student. In hindsight i think i jumped too quick and was lost finishing school and used my relationship as a point to which to base my life around.

I do not regret my decision to move, as i love my job and the city i am in. I just wish i had of waited until i was a bit further into the relationship before i took the decison to be closer. The end result is i am sort of living three lives, none of which make me fully happy.

Comment

Working...
            X