Closing the distance! Well, almost...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing the distance! Well, almost...

So I moved to North Carolina this summer to start graduate school, which has been really exciting, but tough for my relationship because it pretty much doubled the distance between us. My SO was able to fly out to visit at the beginning of July, but still...even when it didn't really disrupt our normal communication, having all those extra miles between us has been rough.

The good news: all summer my SO has been looking for jobs around my general area. My school's right on the coast; and by happy coincidence, he's been wanting to pursue a career in marine chemistry/ocean conservation, and my location is also an ideal location for him. The amazing thing is that, when I chose this school, we weren't seriously dating yet, and I had no idea he had a serious interest in that field of work, or in working in this region. My school also happens to have a great graduate program for his field, which he's considering applying to next year. I still can't believe sometimes how perfectly our respective paths have ended up aligning.

Anyway, he received two different job offers around the same time last month - one in a town about 3 hours south of me, the other 2 1/2 hours north. He spent a long time weighing the pros and cons of each, trying to decide which position to take. Finally this past week he accepted the offer at the place north of me. He's moving out next week. So, we're still going to have a little distance between us, and I don't know how often we'll be able to see each other with our busy schedules and all, but still - 2 1/2 hours is a world of improvement from the 7 or 8 states we have between us now. Needless to say, we're both absolutely thrilled. I'm also relieved, because with my classes starting next week, I've been worried about how all the demands of grad school would affect our communication. But being able to hopefully see each other every couple weekends or so should ease a ton of that stress.

So, there's my good news - a week from today, we'll be closing 90% of the distance! It's not perfect, but it'll be the closest we've been to each other since we started dating. I can't wait to have him so close!

Awwww congrats!
    Made it official: 12-01-10
    First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
    Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

aww all the very best

Comment

Yay! I'm so happy for you both. Keep us posted on how it all goes
        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
          X