Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those that moved ( or will be ) to their SO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those that moved ( or will be ) to their SO?

Did it make you sad? I mean the thought of leaving people behind, people you've known all your life.

When I think about it I want to cry, but then I think of where I'm going and why and it makes me feel better, yet still sad I wont be able to see my family other than holidays and when I have the money and free time to do so.

My family is also taking it hard, my dad and brother are afraid they wont see me again.

How did your family take it?
    " There is always hope.
    "

Lots of threads on this

Yes I was sad and so was my family and friends. But I know being with the man I love is more important than being in my hometown.

Comment

I think of it as starting an adventure, getting a chance to start over where no one has known me since I was little and I can be whoever I want to be. Of course I'll miss my friends but they'll always be there for me and it's not like we can't still have a relationship LDR's are proof of that. :P

Notes:
      Met: 8.17.09
      Started Dating: 8.20.09
      First Met: 10.2.10
      Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I feel sad when I think about not being able to just drive over to the bff's house or over to moms whenever I want. But, like you, I think of my "adventure" and my new city and being with my man, and it turns my sadness into happiness. My friends are taking it harder than my family which is odd, but it is what it is. I'll be back every so often. I'm only moving about 5-6 hours away. And LDR's come in all types of relationships. Not just romantic ones.
        I still have about 4 months till I move so I'll keep you updated on how it goes for me as well.

Comment

When i was coming it was only supposed to be a visit to see how it was like here but turned into me staying here. My parents and I thought/knew it was a visit but my om still cried her eyes out and so did i when I had to leave. I didn't get homesick until the 3rd week of being here and it hit me hard. It's extremely sad, but you need to come to realize you aren't STUCK there. You can see your family whenever you want, and guess what? If you don't like it there or miss them too much, you can always go home. You still have emails, phone calls, skype to talk to them just like you did with your SO. Planning on when you see them next can help too. I've been here for about 4 1/2 months and still get homesick from time to time. But I know I can go home whenever I want. If you honestly don't like it there you can ask for people to help you out with a ticket and go back home. It's a new place, start, and new people you'll be around it's okay to be homesick and to be scared. Everyone feels like that when they make a big move, no matter what.
          sigpic
          We've been together since 10.11.10

First Visit-7.13.11
          Second Visit-12.17.11
          Closed the distance-06.20.12

Comment

I'm sad and scared. I haven't told my dad yet and I know he's going to take it very, very hard. But I know that I'm meant to be in Australia with my SO. I just can't imagine not going. So I just have to deal with all the emotions as they come. It's a hard decision but everyone has to do what's right for them and their lives.

Met online: 1/30/11
            Met in person: 5/30/12
            Second visit: 9/12/12
            Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

I've already moved away from home once.

I would definitely miss my friends and whatnot.

Comment

My family already knows that I'm moving so they have some time between now and when it happens to prepare for it. They will probably still be sad/upset but I'm not going to stop myself from doing what I want to do just for the wants of someone else.
                I love them and I'll probably miss them, but I'm usually not they type to get homesick, so I should be fine. I have always loved to travel or get away from home and I was fine when I visited him. Besides, it's just around a 8-9 hour drive, I can still visit occasionally when I want to and have the time. ^^
                "Babe, I'm totally murdering everyone in this building right now! ... You would be so proud of me."
                This. This is only one of the reasons that I love this man. XD

"I'll surrender up my heart and swap it for yours."
                Por siempre, mi amor. ♥

Comment

I think the first time I left my home country, I was 23. In the beginning, it was quite hard. My mom took it very hard and kept calling me 3 - 4 times a day. But parents need to learn to understand that their children live their own lives. Of course you will experience homesickness, but when you are together with someone you love, it won't be as hard as sitting in an empty apartment all by yourself every night.

You know what, the weirdest feeling is coming back home for a visit. Every time I come home, I kinda feel out of place, maybe even alienated, and getting back in your culture just takes a while if you ever get used to it.

But enjoy the move! With today's technology it makes things a lot easier.

Comment

I'm really lucky. The place that I'll be moving to is also the one where I did my semester abroad a few years ago so I already have some friends in the area. One of my future sisters-in-law was actually my friend first. It's still sad to think that I'm moving away from my family, but I know that they want what's best for me and my fiance. For us, that means me moving over there. However because I go over to visit my fiance a lot, my family is already used to me being away and using skype to keep in touch. You do what you have to to keep in touch with those you love. In the end, all you can do is hope for the best.
                    "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                    Made it official: September 17, 2010
                    Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                    Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                    Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                    Got married: November 21, 2012
                    Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                    Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Sharon Q View Post
                      Did it make you sad? I mean the thought of leaving people behind, people you've known all your life.

When I think about it I want to cry, but then I think of where I'm going and why and it makes me feel better, yet still sad I wont be able to see my family other than holidays and when I have the money and free time to do so.

My family is also taking it hard, my dad and brother are afraid they wont see me again.

How did your family take it?
                      I must admit I'm feeling a mixture of emotions regarding moving to America to be with my husband. In one sense I'm so excited at the thought of being with him and in another sense I'm somewhat scared & a little wary because I'm leaving all that I know behind. I know it's only natural to have all these feelings but I'm just going with it. Being able to communicate with my family is going to be an important factor in me settling in my new home. My mother is taking it hard. She cannot travel due to a medical problem so knowing she'll never see where we set up home upsets me alot. But I can always take yearly trips to see her, plus we'll have the internet to communicate through. It's a big decision but one I'm willing to take to be with my other half, my soul mate!!

Started Writing - February 2010
                      First Visit - September 2010
                      Second Visit - June 2011
                      Third Visit & His Release Date - February 2012
                      Our Wedding Day - April 2012
                      Submitted I-130 Visa Application - July 2012
                      NOA1 - July 2012
                      NOA2 - December 2012
                      Fourth Visit - December 2012
                      Closing The Distance - Watch this space

Comment

Working...