How long before closing the distance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long before closing the distance?

My BF lives in Tennessee and I live in Washington Sate. I will be moving to Chicago in June 2013! Woohoo! Somewhat closing the distance. Instead of being 34 hours away will only be 8. We have agreed to finish college then relocate to a new town together. I'm not sure I want to wait that long he will be done with school 2years before me. I am wondering how long were you guys in a relationship before closing the distance?

A little under 2.5 years to close the distance.

Comment

We had been together for one and half years when we closed the distance. We were originally close distance for the first six months of our relationship, and we were long distance for a little under a year.
      My heart belongs to a pilot!
      ~*~
      ~*~
      [/center]

Comment

We've had 2 years so far... we are looking at another 3 years minimum before we can close the distance... If magical, amazing things happen (financially), we may be able to live together for up to 6 months out of the year before then, but I'm not holding my breath...
        First met online: June, 2010
        First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
        Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
        Third visit together: August, 2012
        Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
        Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
        Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
        Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

I haven't closed the distance yet but if everything goes according to plan it will be within 5 years of us being LD

Notes:
          Met: 8.17.09
          Started Dating: 8.20.09
          First Met: 10.2.10
          Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

My Love and I met online in January 2012. Crazy man that he is, he drove 1640+ miles from Central TX to Upstate NY to spend a week together in June 2012. We have never gone more than 24 hours without some sort of contact this entire time. Meeting in person for the first time went above and beyond our wildest dreams. That first hug will forever be etched in my mind. In January of 2013 I am flying down to Texas to spend another week with him... and then... we're driving back to my home together with his car squashed full of his belonging and towing his beloved Harley.

To answer the question posed... only YOU know how much time you need to close the distance. For us, it will be a year. Family and friends think we are absolutely nuts. "But, you've only met once in person!" Yeah yeah, yadda yadda. We are both too old (we both have grown children) to be mucking about with logic and wondering about the 'what ifs'. We want to embrace what we have found together head on, right now! There may be no tomorrow and I'll be damned if I'm gonna let that stupid thing called 'sanity' get in the way of what I've found with and what I feel for this man.

Do what FEELS right for you. Feel It, Don't Think It. Dig down deep below the surface and into the very heart of your heart because that's where the answer to your question really is.

Comment

I completely agree with Pamela!! Only y'all know how much time is right for y'all.

For us, we are also older and don't want to waste time with the "what ifs". We will be closing the distance in the beginning of 2013 and then we will have known each other almost a year. People call us "crazy" but we don't care. It's what feels right for US.

Comment

Less than a year for us. Closing the distance wasn't the problem, it was meeting in the first place

You never know what will happen between now and then, so keep your eyes and options open Good luck!
                Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

A little under two years if everything goes on plan, mostly on my side with finishing school and saving the money for the move. We'll both graduate in 2014 and we plan to rent an apt together in his town asap after that.

Comment

We're hoping to be able to close the distance by Summer 2013, but that all depends on how things go up until then. We are both struggling to work things out financially, but hopefully things will eventually sort out so that we can follow through with our plan.
                    If we can't do so by then, I suppose we will continue saving until we have the funds needed.

That will make it a little over a year that we have been together and a little over two years that we have known each other, if the plans for summer work out.
                    "Babe, I'm totally murdering everyone in this building right now! ... You would be so proud of me."
                    This. This is only one of the reasons that I love this man. XD

"I'll surrender up my heart and swap it for yours."
                    Por siempre, mi amor. ♥

Comment

We're keeping our fingers crossed for a relocation on my end to cut the distance down to 45 miles instead of 510... but nothing's for sure yet. We've been LD for a total of about 12 months now, and we've been together 21 months. I'll probably end up considering 45 miles to be just about closing the distance, so hopefully it will only be another month or so! (But we'll be mini-LD/far-CD for probably another year-ish.)

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                      Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                      Progress: Working on it.

Comment

So far, my SO and myself have been long-distance for nearly three years (It will be 3 years this November). The goal is to close the distance within a year or so, but that's all going to depend on finances immigration laws, and visa applications.

Comment

1 year and 9 months long distance with 4000 miles between us

Comment

SO and I have been together for about five years now.. and we'll be closing the distance this year in November! It took us a long time, but three of those five years I was working abroad gaining experience in my field while he was finishing up his undergraduate degree. So very excited!

Comment

2 years, but if felt longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X