Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience of Australia's immigration hoop jumping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any experience of Australia's immigration hoop jumping?

Over the next 6 months we're about to take the unnerving plunge and go for an Aus prospective marriage visa, but even reading the literature makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong when I'm not!!

I am all for a country being tight on immigration control, here in the UK we need to practice this much harder, but I have never felt more like I'm trying to cheat someone out of something despite being open and honest.

Has anyone had to run the gauntlet of Aus immigration? Are they any harder on those who have a partner who's just a permanent resident and not a full citizen? I'm still a UK citizen and my partner is a UK citizen working in Aus as a permanent resident.

I'm a little concerned as to why they're so interested in ex-partners details...surely they don't go telling them what you're doing with your life just to check on you?!!?

We havn't done it yet. Obi tells me one day he'll go for duel citizenship, and when we move home for me to have kids he'll need to work something out, but it just scares me.

I've heard that it's easier to go through NZ, become a citizen there and then just fly over to Aus. NZ citizens automatically get residency.
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Yes, they are very tough even for Australian citizens returning with a spouse of many years. My brother, who is Australian, married an American six years ago and they have a child now. They are in the process - it's a long process and expensive but pretty straight forward, of moving back to Australia to live now. There have been health checks, police record checks, employment checks, evidence it is a real relationship, all that sort of thing etc how will you support yourselves ...mainly aimed at minimising the impact on our healthcare, social security and economy in general because we have a small population. It's tightened up a great deal over the last decade. A friend went through the same to bring her English husband here. I have heard it is easier to go via NZ for the reason Zephii said but again there has been lots of negative press about this and the loophole is closing/closed to get to Australia this way as many many ppl have taken this route as well - I think you have to reside in NZ for a period of years now before you can hop on over. All I can say is the Immigration website https://www.immi.gov.au/ is very thorough and easy to read - get started sooner than later with your planning. If you are going to use a imm/migration agent to get here beware of scams - make sure you get a reputable one. hope this helps

Comment

I can't add anything helpful since the only immigration I became versed in is us/canada, but I want to wish you the best. It's a pain. >.<

Comment

My dad is British and my mum is Australian but this was 20 odd years ago - they were married but Dad still couldn't get in the country. He ended up moving to NZ, getting NZ citizenship, then moving to Australia as it was altogether a quicker route to get to Aussie.

While Dad was here, his entire family in Britain decided to fly down and move to NZ as well. When he moved to Australia it meant they were only one little country away, and then when mum and dad broke up a few years ago we all decided to move to NZ (yeah mum too even though they split; they're still best friends!) so that's how I'm here. Ok probably too much info and nothing you could really use - but I do know its easier to get into NZ. I have no idea why or how its easier though, sorry.

Comment

I can't really offer advice, per se, since I'm working through the same Oz visa crapola myself. There are some really great resources, however, that I've used that maybe could help. Hands down, the best forum for getting good responses has been australiaforum.com; they do a great job of answering your questions if you have specific ones, and there's a really handy tips list for doing the partner visa, which you'll need to lodge after you get married, of course. the could answe ryour question about the permanent resident/citizen issue.

I assume you have a copy of the Partner Migration Booklet, but if not, there's the link. Also incredibly helpful for planning is the Client Service Charter, which lists the turnaround for most lodged visa applications; for example, in your situation for a low risk country like the UK, you're looking at about 5 months from lodging to approval.

I really hope those help, and I wish you all the best! I'm biting my nails half the time from the damn thing as well... but you know, it's a bit hairy, but at least it's pretty clear what they want, and it's so worth it in the end.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Thank you all for your advice and support, I think we missed the boat a couple of years ago when it was on a couple of months turn round time and they were really encouraging people in. Oh well, if it's 5 months then so be it but we better start applying quick as I believe the government are possibly looking at cutting the numbers allowed in even lower.

I'll certainly follow up all the links suggested and maybe (if it all goes a little pear shaped) follow up the NZ option. I'm hoping we'll have no problems with the background checks - if there is (being a police officer myself) I'd like to know what they find! Medical should be OK so long as they don't have a 'skinny as Kate Moss' rule! We'd just like to get married, settle down and enjoy each other's company...you'd think we wanted our visas gold plated :o(

Apologies for the late 'thank you', I didn't get any email notifications after the first one so thought there were no replies!! Should have known better!

Comment

Hey Sambob, I had a quick question for you as well - did they ask you/your spouse about money or require proof of a certain amount of salary from your fiancee? As in, to support you in case you couldn't get a job? I'm wondering what their requirements are on being covered monetarily by the future spouse. I didn't see any of that required myself, but since oyu're further in the process, any peeks/suggestions you can give for my own application as I start gathering would be awesome. Wink wink.

Comment

For me (as the applicant), the only place I have seen a question regarding finances was on the actual application form asking how much I would be bringing to Australia, no request for proof though. For him (as my sponsor) it's asked for certified copy of either payslips or a letter and proof of salary from his employer. I think the emphasis is very much on the side of the sponsor to prove they can back you up.

We're not quite as far on as it may seem, all forms completed and proof of everything ready to go but not submitted. He's now having to move address for work and we thought it was sensible to hang fire until he is actually in the house next month and can put this as his permanent address. We're praying to anyone up there who'll listen that we get a visa by January as my career break will start then so I'll be jobless and penniless!

Are you applying for the prospective marriage visa?

Comment

Yes, during my brothers application for his American wife they asked him how he will support her. It was a bit of a catch 22 - because he doesn't yet work here as they are still in US and can't guarantee he will as soon as he arrives. In the end luckily my father has his own business so he put down that he will have a job there which is true. Tough though if you can't do this but it must be pretty common. I'm not sure though whether they made him stipulate an amount of income just whether he would have a job to support her and my niece.

Comment

Originally posted by Sambob View Post
                      Are you applying for the prospective marriage visa?
                      Yes, but not til about December or so. My boyfriend just finished Tafe, so he's looking for a job so he can save up some money. He's quite insistent that he get to ask me to marry him with the ring in hand, so we figure by December/January is when it'll happen. Since some of the visa req's take some gathering, it gives us time to prepare, yanno?

Originally posted by Čternity
                      es, during my brothers application for his American wife they asked him how he will support her. It was a bit of a catch 22 - because he doesn't yet work here as they are still in US and can't guarantee he will as soon as he arrives. In the end luckily my father has his own business so he put down that he will have a job there which is true. Tough though if you can't do this but it must be pretty common. I'm not sure though whether they made him stipulate an amount of income just whether he would have a job to support her and my niece.
                      I'm really glad it worked out for your brother. This is the only thing delaying our application; my boyfriend is in the process of finding a job, so we're waiting until things are stable and secure in that front so I can move and we don't have to worry about any sort of problems delaying our marriage/moving in together. I'll be moving over there in excellent financial status (debt free and with at least $10k in savings), and so we're just letting things evolve naturally. Which is hard sometimes, but... well, what's a year compared to the rest of our lives?

Comment

Working...
                      X