Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Immigrating to Canada from Australia (or anywhere, really)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immigrating to Canada from Australia (or anywhere, really)?

Looking for any advice/help/information anyone might be able to offer. I've spent the last few days scouring the Canadian government website on immigrating but it gets overwhelming fast. I think I understand most of it but I have a difficult situation so anyone with experience would be very appreciated!

My SO in Australia doesn't have much by way of work experience and nor does he have particular qualifications (no university degrees or what-have-you) so I don't think a working visa is a possibility. I don't know who would hire him ahead of time without any certificates besides a high school diploma. But I don't know much about what they'd want in the first place so it's hard for me to research.

A study visa MAY be possible, but he's not sure if he wants to go through the study courses yet. Would he even be allowed a student loan from the Canadian government to pay the tuition? I can't seem to find that out. Either way, the website says he'd need $10,000 on top of his tuition costs. The $10k is manageable but on top of potentially $15k tuition... that won't happen before 2014. We've been together almost 4 years already and we want to close the distance badly.

Ideally, we'd want to go the way of a family sponsorship visa. I've looked into this the most and I believe we have to be married before this. Neither of us mind one visiting the other and getting legally married, then applying for that visa. The issue comes from the fact that I have to have a job to show I can support him for 3 years -- true? Problem is, I live in a town with a population of only a few hundred people and the only place I could potentially work would be the convenience store or maybe the post office. My family has no vehicle so I can't realistically get a ride to and from work every day. I suggested applying at the convenience store to my SO but he said that likely wouldn't count to the government as a good enough income to support us. I honestly have no work experience so that really goes against me as well. (I don't know if it makes a big difference in applying for this visa -- and I'm afraid it might -- but he's only visited me once.) He has about $9k in savings from his job at the moment and steadily growing it for our sake, and I'm doing what I can to contribute. I don't suppose him having a lot of money would make for some kind of exception? My mom's suggested me applying as self-employed by setting up a store where I sell my crafts, but I can't see the government taking that well either... The income would be low and my customers few and far between. Certainly not reliable. She thinks it'd be fine though. I just don't know.

I guess my biggest question is, is there any way around this? Or do we really have no choice but visiting back and forth until my family can save up enough money for a car, then apply anywhere I can and work for another year+? I really don't want to have to do this. I feel like my life is on hold until we can be together because my living situation is really complicated and he's kind of my way out, with us moving together to our own place here in Canada.

A side question would be, is it even possible to visit another country without having a job? My SO said the customs officers made very sure he had a job to go home to so he wouldn't overstay in the country. I want to visit him very badly and see what his life is like there before he has to leave it, but I don't think they'd let me through in my current situation.

Sorry this is so jumbled up, but thank you if you read it. I'm just really stressed out trying to figure everything out and I'm absolutely heartbroken at the frustrating situation we're in. It sounded so easy before I started looking it up, but doesn't it always?

Canada is easy as to get into for us Aussies. The simplest route by far is to take a working holiday visa for two years, and then apply for a common-law spouse visa.

The Working holiday visa is here: https://www.whpcanada.org.au/
    I've done this visa, it's cheap and easy to get

He can visit you without a job as long as he has a return ticket booked, an Aussie can stay in Canada for up to six months (not working) without a visa. You can also get into Australia on a tourist visa or ETA and they don't care if you have a job as long as you plan to leave.

Sorry this isn't very detailed, I'm cooking! I'll come back if you have more Qs though.
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
      Canada is easy as to get into for us Aussies. The simplest route by far is to take a working holiday visa for two years, and then apply for a common-law spouse visa.

The Working holiday visa is here: https://www.whpcanada.org.au/
      I've done this visa, it's cheap and easy to get

He can visit you without a job as long as he has a return ticket booked, an Aussie can stay in Canada for up to six months (not working) without a visa. You can also get into Australia on a tourist visa or ETA and they don't care if you have a job as long as you plan to leave.

Sorry this isn't very detailed, I'm cooking! I'll come back if you have more Qs though.
      This! Working holiday visas are incredibly useful for living together to become common-law, which the Canadian government regards as 12 months of living together for visa purposes.

The WH visa only requires $2,500 CAD in support funds, which he definitely already has. If you wanted to sponsor him as a common-law partner after that, there are no requirements for income, provided you are not on welfare and have not declared bankruptcy. Here is the guide for that.. There is also the chance that after being in the country for a couple years that he might find a job that would be willing to sponsor him, but one step at a time I guess

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
      Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

Sorry to hijack the thread, but does the working holiday visa work the same for Americans trying to immigrate to Canada?

Comment

Check out this link for information about Americans coming to Canada. It's a 1 year visa, and you need to have the same $2,500 in support funds and be a full time student, or just graduated.

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by BellaJedi View Post
            Sorry to hijack the thread, but does the working holiday visa work the same for Americans trying to immigrate to Canada?
            I don't think so. The working holiday visa (valid for Australians) seems to be only available to other high income Commonwealth countries like New Zealand and the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
              I don't think so. The working holiday visa (valid for Australians) seems to be only available to other high income Commonwealth countries like New Zealand and the UK.
              See the link I posted Working holiday visas aren't just for commonwealth countries, they're available to citizens of both countries under equal terms, so since Canadians can work in the US on a visa, Americans can come to Canada.

Comment

Working...
              X