Ill-timed and stuck Couch Surfing..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ill-timed and stuck Couch Surfing..

Long story short, Steve's roommate back in Pennsylvania screwed him over and he lost the house with nowhere to go. His family rejected him and his friends had no room. My sister offered us a place to stay, which is her downstairs living room (fold-out) sofa. I came home unemployed and he couldn't get his work to transfer him out to California. We're currently rushing to find jobs in the area.

I'm grateful my sister has taken us in but I am very afraid that since we haven't lived together for so long we will start butting heads. Plus the added inconvenience of losing my privacy and not knowing how long it will take to get out of the living room and into our own place. We've agreed we will do everything we can to make her life a little easier (cleaning, dishes etc) but it terrifies me that we will get stuck in a rut living hand to mouth. While most of my family is supportive my mother is standing by waiting for this to fail, they treat it like it's a game. Saying things such as "this is a mistake, you'll see" and "this could have been planned out better" when in reality what choice did we have? Did they want me to leave him in Pennsylvania homeless during the winter?

I suppose I'm looking for some advice and/or reassurance. I'm terrified that this will bring too much stress on us, that it will tear my sister and I or Steve and I apart. Any and all advice is welcome.

My best advice to you is just stay positive, which typically would be hard in your situation. I've always been told that if you go in with a positive attitude and don't give up, eventually things just find a way to work out. Don't let your mom get to you and continue to have faith in your relationship. Relationships aren't all the same, shit happens and you just have to make do with what you have/can do. Remember to not look at the situation as a bad thing, just think about the good things! For example, you and your SO are CD for now. A lot of other couples would be envious (I know I am!) Yeah, the situation looks grim, but think of it as a time for you guys to work together in order to take another step forward in your relationship.

Hope that helps. Smile and take it one day at a time. I know y'all can do it, together.

Comment

Thank you :] this did help, today he had 2 job interviews within a week of being here!

Comment

Wow! Two interviews in one week. That's impressive. You go guys!

Comment

Working...
        X