Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anyone with experience in US visa's and immagration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there anyone with experience in US visa's and immagration?

Where to start...
    First off, in all the other threads I read, everyone seemed to be of the opinion that the US is the most difficult country to get into. Is this true?
    My S.O. is a Kenyan citizen, about to graduate from a Canadian university with an MBA. How difficult might it be for her to get sponsored for a work visa? We looked into J1 internship visas last year, and it seemed pretty daunting, yet multiple people here have indicated the opposite. Might that be a better road?

The US is by far one of, if not the hardest to get into. For your SO to get a work visa, she would need to have a firm job offer in the states and have them help her get a visa. Even with an MBA, that can be very difficult. J-1 is probably much easier for her since she is young and does not have much work experience yet.
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

The US is definitely tough for visas. I know many many Africans who have educations, homes, jobs, etc who were denied US visas. But of course there are the exceptions, I know several people here (I live in Mali) who do have US visas. But I'm pretty sure they had some connections in the Malian government.

Be careful with the J-1 visa though. I am not totally familiar with it but I know that it's participants are subject to the "Two Year Rule" meaning that after using the visa, many participants (although I'm sure there are exceptions) are required to return home and maintain a physical presence in their home country for 2 years before applying for certain US visas (the K-1 Fiance visa is one).

Not trying to discourage you, just wanting to put that out there.

Is there any possibility that you could go to Kenya?

Comment

Perhaps it might be easier for her to stay in Canada, since she's been going to uni there? I daresay it's easier for a US citizen to move to Canada (even just for a couple years at first) than a Kenyan citizen moving to the States. But of course I don't know what your situation about moving is.

Visajourney would probably have more knowledgeable people than here!

Comment

Originally posted by MadMolly View Post
          Perhaps it might be easier for her to stay in Canada, since she's been going to uni there? I daresay it's easier for a US citizen to move to Canada (even just for a couple years at first) than a Kenyan citizen moving to the States. But of course I don't know what your situation about moving is.

Visajourney would probably have more knowledgeable people than here!
          I would have to agree with what MadMolly said.

Canada for the near future is probably the best option for your SO.

Comment

Linking to this thread I replied to. Also, go check out Visajourney.com

https://members.lovingfromadistance....uch-work-to-do

Comment

Work visas are almost impossible to get. Almost. But still. I agree with the others, go to Canada or Kenya!

Comment

Or just get married...thats sometimes one and only legal way...you will cut lots of troubles.

Comment

For the US i have no experience just that i've heard it's hard, as for her being in Canada and if she chooses to live and work there she won't be able to sponsor you until she gets perm residency. I'm a US citizen and while i was living and working in Canada (went to school there and got a job once i graduated), I was told if i wanted to sponsor my fiance (at the time now my ex, due to some personal circumstances) i'd have to have perm residency before i could (i'm at the waiting for my citizenship test date for canada).

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the advice! I was unsure who would have an easier time moving, but it looks like trying to get a visa for the US should be avoided if at all possible. Again, thanks. I'm used to the type of forum where new members are ignored, until they have some sort of standing in the community, so all your support is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                    X