Canada to the USA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada to the USA.

Well. Travis and I have been talking about it a lot lately, and we really truly feel that our relationship is leaning toward marriage.
    But, I'm looking into how to get him from Canada to the USA, and OH MY GOODNESS! I feel like I'm staring into one big mess! It seems SO hard to get any kind of visa.
    I just need some advice, tips, hints, REASSURANCE?
    I, of course, about cried when I saw how technical it all is. But Travis reassured me that it was worth it to him to go through the paperwork for me.

Anyone have experience with moving from Canada to the US?
    What's the best way to do it?
    I need advice in English, because the websites just leave me confused.
    I don't do well with legal jargon.
    =/

Thanks all!
    -Katie

I would suggest checking out an immigration forum where other people can help you. Other people who've worked on US immigration have recommended https://visajourney.com/ in the past, I've seen, on other LDR communities I belong to... maybe they would be helpful in making it less red-tapey?

My suggestion is also to not look at all of it, or it gets overwhelming. Break it down piece by piece and read it.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Rane and Garnet are your best help with this question as they went through going from Canada to the US (you guys can correct me if i'm wrong). I would help you, but even though my guy is in Canada he's from Chile and it's a bit different for him with visa stuff (he's working on trying to get a visa to work in the US).

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Yeah we have looked into it this is the basis from how I understand it and how our process is going.. but ended up going USA- Canada because he has the better job to support the income and paperwork and steps are easier and more affordable. Now on health care if he is going to want that (I'm not sure if he has prescriptions or anything), for the USA you would have to purchase through a private med insurance company or allow him to get on yours, while waiting for the Green Card to get a job. For Canada same thing you would have to purchase private health care while waiting the difference is you get Canadas health care once you are confirmed as a Perm Resident. We purchased private medical insurance for my move to Canada in case and simple things like birth control, so I can't wait to get rid of it it and get my PR, private insurance is so HIGH!

An example of it all in step format from Canada to USA:

Fiance Visa K-1 Visa- https://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/k1-visa.html (may require medical exam)

Once you get the fiance visa- Get married you have 90 days

Green Card- https://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/greencard.html while waiting on the green card the partner supports the income because he cannot work . ( may require a medical exam/criminal checks etc..$$)

Now the fun part.. wait.. wait..

Get Green Card- Yay can work and look for a job with medical insurance.

Last- apply for Citizenship unsure on that time frame after some set years.

Format USA to Canada

Visitor Visa - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-how.asp obtain a visitor visa (easy and affordable (they last 6mths at a time) you can get another after the first six month ends to make a year until the PR comes in)

Get married- there is no visa you just go do it

Apply for a spouse visa while on visitor visa, and wait for Perm Residency- (partner supports income for you cannot work) https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...sor/spouse.asp (may require a medical exam/criminal checks etc..$$)

Now the fun part.. wait.. wait..

Get Perm Residency - Yay finally can work and you obtain Canada's healthcare after 3 mths of being a resident.

Last- apply for Citizenship after 3 years
        Last edited by USA2Canada; July 27, 2010, 05:36 PM.

Comment

https://www.how2immigrate.net/

Try that dear. I'll be doing the same only in reverse, going to Sean in
          Canada.

Comment

My big questions are, if we end up doing the fiance visa, can we apply for a green card while he's using that visa? And, after he gets the green card, can he immediately work? We heard from family that you have to wait a year to legally work.

Comment

The fiance visa (K1) was not difficult at all. Rane did come from Canada to the USA. We started in January, he moved in May. We were married in July. No lawyers, nothing difficult about it. The process was very smooth, and very easy.

For health care... as soon as you are married your spouse can get on your insurance.
              After you get your marriage certificate, you can file your adjustment of status. With that (same packet of papers), you apply for your work permit. You will have that and the ability to work long before you get your greencard, in most cases. This is nowhere near as difficult as it is sometimes made out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by SimplyKatie View Post
                My big questions are, if we end up doing the fiance visa, can we apply for a green card while he's using that visa? And, after he gets the green card, can he immediately work? We heard from family that you have to wait a year to legally work.
                -yes after your fiance visa and your married then yes you apply for the green card
                - yes you can work (green card time frames vary)
                Last edited by USA2Canada; July 27, 2010, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X