Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best option for shipping belongings overseas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best option for shipping belongings overseas?

My SO and I are planning to close the distance this year and we're figuring out the nitty gritty of all that we'll need and the total approximate cost. The one thing I haven't been able to find good information online about is shipping your belongings overseas. He's in Australia and coming to me in Canada so shipping via regular post would hurt the wallet a lot...

We're trying to avoid furniture but he has an entertainment stand and shelving units that can be disassembled and I think he might want to take with him (might have to leave them though, but it would be nice to take), but he has a couple largish instruments that are the biggest concern -- electronic keyboards -- though otherwise it's just many video games and consoles/smaller possessions that add up to being a box of heavy stuff that neither of us want him to sell if at all possible (it would be expensive and potentially impossible to re-buy everything back considering price values and ages of things; he's a collector). Thankfully his wardrobe is pretty small. He'll need to bulk it up for the Canadian winter after he gets here though. Poor boy won't know what hit him when he sees snow for the first time.

So, does anyone have experience with this? I know bringing some things on the plane is an option, but what would be the best course of action? Piling his things in suitcases as luggage or boxing them up and waiting for them to be delivered by boat? Is there a particular service we could use, or just straight to the post office? Would it be dangerous for his instruments on the plane, would they be safer shipped? It doesn't help that the very first time he ever came to visit the flight lost his luggage and he was without clothes for 2 days so I think he's a little worried.

Again, we'd like as cheap as possible. Who doesn't?

ETA: Computers! He also has computers. I don't even know how to pack those and they weigh a lot. But those are something he won't want to leave. I think he'd rather wait an extra month at his job to save the money for shipping them, haha.
    Last edited by Meikyuu; January 10, 2013, 02:41 AM.

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with shipping things, but I just wanted to say - it might be a better idea for him to sell/leave behind his consoles and video games! There are a few issues with those - mainly regional lockout and voltage in outlets. It'd probably also cost less to just sell them in Oz and rebuy what he wants to rebuy when he's in Canada.

Good luck getting the info that you need!

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
    Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

Thanks, but I already mentioned that's unfortunately not really a good idea. He's a collector so he has a lot of rare and expensive games, as well as games with sentimental attachment. It would be next to impossible to replace them all, and would cost a fortune. Regional lockout isn't an issue because of mods, and we plan to find adapters where necessary.

Comment

I think he'll just have to research if it's cheaper to send it by post or send it in a container. I live in W. Africa and most expats here have their things shipped in containers (by boat and then train). It takes a long time, usually several months and I don't think it's cheap but you can buy space in a container, so you can pay by exactly what space you'll need.

Comment

been looking into it to lately just to know how what when from holland to canada it's about 120 euro per m3... *sigh* i am going to get rid of a lot auch!
          good luck !!!

Comment

If you are not made of money the shipping is the best way.
            I think local post offices should be able to point into right direction in that. Keep in mind that it usually takes a few months and the package might take some damage so make sure the box can take it. I'd also recommend putting any electronics inside plastic bags in case of box getting a little wet. Be careful when plugging in the consoles, many older one's don't like the wrong voltage and you might fry them so do the research before pluggin in them in (You need to buy step up transformer in Canada).

Comment

+1 for container shipping. Once you get to the big stuff (e.g. music keyboards), the price to ship stuff via air becomes ridiculous. By coincidence, I am making a move from Australia to USA later this year, and I have two full-sized electronic keyboards coming with me. I noticed that my keyboards are 240V only, so I'm going to need to buy transformers for them. I'm thinking seriously of selling one or both of them.

Re computers: I'd really consider selling these and re-buying. For the stuff that you do ship via sea, it will be months before you see it again. That's not so bad for clothes and books, but a PC is something that gets used every day. It's better to transfer all your data onto one or two hard drives and bring them across.
              Last edited by Kwala; January 12, 2013, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much, everyone. I wasn't sure where to even look to find out about container shipping and the like since it's nothing I've ever done before, but I'll get him to see if the post office has any info!

And I think I'm agreeing with you, Kwala, on the computers. It really isn't worth it from that perspective. Maybe he can take them apart and just bring the graphics card he loves if need be, haha.

Comment

Reviving this thread to ask about shipping. I'm going from England to America, has anyone got any recommendations for companies to use, how long does it normally take and how much would it cost? Do they charge by weight or area?

Comment

Kacie, my BF is coming from UK also to America we are looking at shipping computer and maybe one box of things but thats it. Dont know much info right now if we find out ill update or check in to see if anyone else updates GL!

Comment

Working...
                    X