which is easier...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which is easier...?

Moving and looking for a job once you get there, or trying to have a job lined up before you go?

I have a job I like but my hours just got slashed from full-time to two days a week, so I'll probably be moving to my SO in the next three months or so which is sooner than I'd thought. I'd be moving in to the house with him and his mom and his uncle; having a good place to stay will help a lot while looking for a job. I tried moving across the country by myself to find a job once before; I didn't have a good place to stay so it didn't work out. Once bitten, twice shy I guess. I feel like it would be easier to go there first and look for a job if I have a local address; I doubt I'll get any interviews while I'm still here.

What's your experience with job searching in a new place?

I think if you are highly skilled then finding a job before moving is doable. But with this economy, I think us regular-skilled people have a better chance of moving first, then job hunting. I lived in my SO's country for 2 months while job searching. Looks like you have a place to stay so just make sure you have some money saved and go for it!

Of course, it's wise to start hunting before you move, even if you aren't actively applying for jobs yet. Start searching around online to find out about the job market where you are moving, look into companies that interest you, check job postings, etc.

Comment

Gosh, to be honest, it might be EASIER to look for one once you're there. I'm only saying that because I'm CD with my SO in less than a week. I already have a job, but while looking and interviewing, I had to be very specific about which days I was able to be there and which days I wasn't. I was unable to just run things up to the new job if needed (I forgot a piece of paper last week. Turned out to be ok, but I was lucky!). Even for my interviews I had no clue where I was going. If I had lived closer, I would have driven there frequently or something. Now, in my opinion, it WISER to have a job before you move.

Comment

I think it depends on what you're applying for, if it's a specific specialty field like computer tech or something I'm sure you can try and line up a job before hand, I know a lot of people are starting to do interviews over Skype now a days. If it's like a regular minimum wage job then I think you'd have to actually be there first because they interview like a billion people at a time, although that doesn't mean you can't start scouting out places to apply to in advance. good luck.

Notes:
        Met: 8.17.09
        Started Dating: 8.20.09
        First Met: 10.2.10
        Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Originally posted by Sora1101 View Post
          I know a lot of people are starting to do interviews over Skype now a days.
          Hey, that's awesome; I never would have thought of that!

Yeah, my work experience is basically all customer-service type stuff; I work in a bakery now and I have almost 4 years of experience total with it. Not a cake decorator, but I do other stuff besides help customers too. My hours are cut really for no other reason than it's the slow season now. I've already applied to a couple of places there though, so now I wait.

Comment

sora is right in saying if its highly skilled/ grad level jobs your applying for, then employers expect people to be coming from all over place, whereas day-day roles employers only expect people from a max area of 5 miles, commutable distance of an 1hr one way.

i found it easy applying for jobs anywhere, didn't mind the travelling for interviews so much. I HATED the frantic house searches once knowing you'd got the post and they want you in 2 weeks! Nestoria.com became a lifeline to start my search for a room!

this question is now on the lips of my SO; he's not sure if he'll have a job left come new academic year.

Comment

Working...
            X