Semi Close the Distance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi Close the Distance?

So, for the last month or so I have been looking for a job near my SO... I have found one, but its in a town about a 2.5-3hr train ride from him. As we are hoping to live together, this is obviously not ideal, but I'd be able to see him every weekend as opposed to the every 4-6 weeks (hopefully) that we have now. I am trying to decide whether or not to take it... There is a possibility that I won't find a job that's close enough that I can live with him (he lives in a fairly small town), but his contract ends in 6 months and then he can either come home or we can move somewhere else together, where we can both get jobs. Its likely his contract will be renewed, if he wants to stay on, but I am also not sure I want to uproot my life and move halfway around the world and then still not actually be close distance. What do you guys think?

Well, here's how I think about new jobs. If it weren't for your SO, would you consider taking this job? Is it what you want to do? What about salary/benefits? Career advancement?

On the other hand, it's been my experience that job hunting (especially in a small town) is a LOT easier if you're actually able to appear in person for interviews.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
    Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
    Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Well, I would think it would be better to be nearer your SO and get to see him every weekend than every 4-6 weeks. Once your there you can then be proactive and find a job nearer to him. I certainly would rather be a few hours a way from my hubby and get to see him every weekend over being nearly 4000 miles apart and not knowing when were going to see each other again.

Started Writing - February 2010
      First Visit - September 2010
      Second Visit - June 2011
      Third Visit & His Release Date - February 2012
      Our Wedding Day - April 2012
      Submitted I-130 Visa Application - July 2012
      NOA1 - July 2012
      NOA2 - December 2012
      Fourth Visit - December 2012
      Closing The Distance - Watch this space

Comment

if his contract ends in 6 months maybe you can wait it out? it is not that long and i think that's the best option for you two...wait it out and decide what to do together in 5 months or so
        otherwise..switching jobs twice in 6 months like it seems you will have to do is a lot and does not look great on a CV.

Comment

Thanks for your responses. I turned it down- the job was ok but I think my current job is better. The only advantage would be being closer, but one of us would need to move again in the near future anyway.

Comment

Working...
          X