Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

He's Western, I'm Asian. Kitchen and cooking, how should it be ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's Western, I'm Asian. Kitchen and cooking, how should it be ?

We are going to live together soon in my country (Vietnam) and that means we will likely have every meals together. I'm a bit concerned about cooking for the two of us because we both sucks at it unfortunately. But certainly we enjoy good food.

I know he loves Vietnamese food which is great, but I think he will miss his home food from time to time. So it would be easier for him if I know about western cuisine. I just wonder If anyone here has this experience and likes to share about it... How you eat, what you cook, etc... anything about Western (especially Canadian) cuisine that I should learn ? I will probably try to cook with recipes on over the internet but is there any tip around the kitchen to make him feel like home ?

Thank you !

I'm from the USA and live with my SO in Costa Rica. I don't think our cuisines are much different but we cook tons of stuff. Sometimes it's tico food, sometimes gringo food, sometimes Chinese or Indian. Sometimes we have a little of everything all at once. As long as your SO isn't picky you'll be just fine figuring out dinners.

Make sure you know how to make mashed potatoes and mac n cheese. Those two foods, at least to me, are super comfort/nostalgic foods.

Also ask him to bring certain spices/foods that he likes that you might not be able to find in Vietnam. I keep trying to find Cajun spices and fish sauce here and I can't so I'm asking my dad to bring them down with him when he visits. I also always stock up on good mustard and grits, which are also not available down here.

Good luck and happy cooking!

Comment

Spaghetti! It's an easy go-to "Western" dish. My German-American ex-boyfriend told me it reminded him of home. My current boyfriend (Wisconsin-born and raised but also German-American, strangely enough o_o) also feels the same way. Roasts and mashed potatoes are also good go-to dishes. Ribs, barbecues.. those are a little more work, but might well be worth the effort if you're going the extra mile. I suggest asking your bf what kinds of food he likes. Everyone has their own preferences.

PS. I'm Asian, too, and was horrible at cooking until a few years ago. Now I looooove it. ^_^
      Our separation so abides, and flies,
      That thou, residing here, go'st yet with me,
      And I, hence fleeting, here remain with thee.

Comment

You should be able to make things like Hamburgers pretty easily.

Comment

Thank you everyone ! I appreciate your advices.

I'm starting to learn how to make those dishes now heheh It's exciting!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
            You should be able to make things like Hamburgers pretty easily.
            .......one would pray that this man has developed a few refined tastes.

If anything try new foods together. Pick out different dishes you both want to try

Comment

Quick Canadian dishes include hamburgers, pasta, sausage, chicken. Essentially each Canadian dish has meat, carbs and vegetables. If you are familiar with cooking proteins even basics (frying or putting it in the oven) spices can make the world of difference. Toast and cereal in the morning for most Canadians are staples. Check out Pinterest they have easy recipes. Grilled cheese and tomato soup is always my go to dinner!

Comment

Well a friend of mine married an Armenian and moved to the US (she's from Belarus) and he taught her how to cook Armenian food. Maybe he could teach you too cook like they did.

Comment

Being Canadian myself, I can tell you that we're a pretty multicultural country. I'm Asian and my ldb is American, but he seems to like to try EVERYTHING, be it Western food or not. I feel like food should be the last thing you need to worry about! I think it'd be fun to teach each other how to cook different cultural foods in the kitchen, consider it a bonding experience. I know us Canadians are pretty open to any kind of food, even if we don't like it, we'll at least give it a try!
                  [CENTER]

first met: ~10.03
                  became official: 28.03.11
                  first meeting: 08.06.12 - 24.06.12 (jason in vancouver)
                  second meeting: 18.07.13 - 30.07.13 (jason in vancouver)
                  our first vacation together: 30.07.13 - 20.08.13 (cynthia in new orleans)
                  third meeting: 14.12.13 - 03.01.14 (cynthia in new orleans)
                  fourth meeting: 21.05.14-02.06.14 (jason in vancouver)
                  surprise! 13.08.14-27.08.14 (cynthia surprises jason in new orleans)
                  viva las vegas: 21.12.14 - 24.12.14 (c+j vacation together in vegas!)
                  jason's 1st canadian christmas: 24.12.14-02.01.15
                  my first mardi gras: 12.02.15-20.02.15

Comment

It's ok to both suck at cooking, like anything, you'll get better with practice

Remember that it's good to have a few nights off, and you shouldn't be expected to cook every day.

I find there are some things I cook well and other things my SO cooks. Some dishes are more fun to make than others too. You'll find if you share kitchen duty then you'll automatically get a bit of both styles anyway
                    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                      Make sure you know how to make mashed potatoes and mac n cheese. Those two foods, at least to me, are super comfort/nostalgic foods.
                      I particularly agree with the mac n cheese - apparently Canadians eat a ridiculous amount of it compared to other countries! I know I miss my kraft dinner here in the UK

And I agree with grilled cheese and tomato soup, those are staples

I can say as a Canadian living abroad, there are times that you just really really miss a particular food item, but it's so much more exciting to find your favourite dishes of local cuisines and learn how to cook! I've actually found that being away from home has made me love cooking (and I used to be terrible!!), because sometimes the only way to get the dish you want from home is to learn how to make it yourself.

I'm a tiny bit jealous of your SO, I adore Vietnamese food

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
                      Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

Working...
                      X