Closing The Distance Some More....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing The Distance Some More....

I've gone on just about a million sites about "Surviving long distance" and I just don't know how to close the distance in the sense that it keeps me from missing her so bad to the point of sadness. I just want to know how to make the distance a little easier to bear.

You need to keep yourself busy or you're gonna drive yourself nuts with sadness of missing her. :/

Comment

Try some of the ideas they list on the main site to help yourself feel more connected to your SO, we are having the same issues, missing each other to the point of sadness, not looking forward to our next visit cause we are more worried about the next separation, having a hard time controlling our emotions while apart...

I know that my distance isnt as severe as yours, but our time apart can get to be pretty severe due to kids and family obligations, when you have 7 active kids' schedules to keep up with, its hard to find time to connect, in person. We just recently discovered this site, and have begun using some of the ideas presented and its already made a difference. The easiest, and IMO the best one is the Google calendar sharing, I shared my calendar with him, and instantly we feel more connected and part of each others lives cause we know what the other is doing, when they are busy or not, when the kids have stuff going on... its so neat.

Read through and try a few of the ideas that are easiest for you to do, and see if it makes you feel better. Good Luck!

Comment

I agree with both the posters above me. Another option that I've found helpful is I use my tumblr a lot to vent about the frustrations and things. Sometimes talking/venting/posting about it & how you're feeling whether someone is listening or not can help. Good luck!

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
        Back Together: August 1,2012
        First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
        Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
        Engaged: January 17,2013
        Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
        Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
        We Got Married! - July 3,2014
        SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
        Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

I totally get how you feel. My SO and I have done the long distance thing for over 3 years now. We've had times where we've gone months between visits, and at times, we didn't know when we would get to see each other next. I've learned that if you let yourself, you'll drive yourself crazy - seriously, you know you're having issues when seeing people holding hands makes you moody.
          Here are a few things I've learned over the years:

1- Skype is a lifesaver. If you haven't already, I'd recommend that you and your SO get a decent webcam and headset - it will make a big difference. If you have such things already, use them regularly (My man and I skype daily). There's something very reassuring about seeing and hearing the person you love, and it can be a huge comfort on difficult days. There's a lot you can do while you're on skype. Even going onto netflix and watching the same TV show while skyping can be fun, because you're able to hear each others' comments to the show while you watch, and it makes you feel much closer.

2- Find a hobby. Or two, or several. Better yet, find something that your partner also likes doing, and both work at your hobby while you're apart. It gives you something exciting and positive to talk about when you get to chat, and it keeps your mind off of just sitting and missing each other My partner and I share many hobbies this way. We're both avid gamers, we both knit (yes, he knits too), and do medieval recreation. Even if we're doing things apart, we can talk about our common interests, and send pictures of our projects to each other. It helps to keep conversation fresh, and the distraction during the day is definitely a good thing.

3- Plan out your next visit. Having a specific date to look forward to helps keep your spirits up, and stops you from feeling miserable while you wonder when you'll see each other again (been there, not so much fun). If you can pinpoint a specific weekend, or holiday that you will be together, count down to it, and talk about what the two of you want to do when you're together. This will give you something to think about during the day, too.

Hope these things help you out! It might not be much, and you might have heard all this before, but these are things that have kept me sane for the past few years. Good luck with closing the distance! Long distance can be hard, but at the same time, there's a bright side to the coin. Through long distance, you get a greater appreciation of your time together, and you get really great at communicating

Comment

BE busy! There's no other way to make you feel better but to try and find something productive to do.

Comment

Working...
            X