Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So confused! Maybe someone can help me? :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So confused! Maybe someone can help me? :)

And yes, it's a smiley face, because it's a smiley post! Or well, mostly at least

So, me and my SO have slowly started talking about visas and such, what we'll need to do for me to be able to go there for an extended period of time, what to do for him to come here... We're just discussing how to solve things fundamentally, how we'd get jobs, what we want to do and the like, but today we started talking more seriously about the whole visa-deal. Yay!

BUT. It's so utterly confusing it's doing my head in! And I'm sure there's a lot of you out there who know how frustrating this process can be I was just hoping maybe someone could direct me in what end to start? I know I saw a thread about a similar question a couple months back but I can't seem to find it...
    Anyways, if there's anyone from Argentina or Sweden out there who has experience with this, I'd greatly appreciate any input you might have. But I also want everyone elses advice as well, of course Who do I talk to? The Argentinian Embassy in Sweden or the Swedish Embassy in Argentina? Does it matter? Do I just call/email them and say "Hi, I want a visa!" or what do you do? These might seem like incredibly rookie questions but I've done extensive research online and I can't find any information regarding this what so ever, so I thought I'd ask here first and then just email one of the Embassies and ask them about who I should talk to xD

Help!

Met online: February 2011
    Met the first time: August 16, 2011

i would have no idea to, but probably call to them and indeed ask i want a visa, could you tell me where i sould go and such?
    i come to think it is different for every country so i hope somebody here knows a bit more

Comment

Each country typically has a government immigration website. Google Argentina visas and click on the first .gov website that pops up. Look at the different visa types and consider which ones are possible with your situation. Each visa has different eligibility and different conditions such as you need to be married within 30 days or can't work for x amount if time. Once you have a list of possibilities narrow down which one(s) work best for you. Consider price, amount of time needed, whether you want to close the distance temporarily or for good, if the visa type is easily adjustable to another visa type, etc. From there you can start saving (actually, it's never too early to start saving), and collecting forms and documents required for your chosen type of visa. All the information as to what you need for a particular visa should be on the website.

Comment

Originally posted by 13000km View Post
        Each country typically has a government immigration website. Google Argentina visas and click on the first .gov website that pops up. Look at the different visa types and consider which ones are possible with your situation. Each visa has different eligibility and different conditions such as you need to be married within 30 days or can't work for x amount if time. Once you have a list of possibilities narrow down which one(s) work best for you. Consider price, amount of time needed, whether you want to close the distance temporarily or for good, if the visa type is easily adjustable to another visa type, etc. From there you can start saving (actually, it's never too early to start saving), and collecting forms and documents required for your chosen type of visa. All the information as to what you need for a particular visa should be on the website.
        I have already tried this, and the thing is that Argentina doesn't really seem to be very good at organizing stuff like this xD They have a general website for the government but it's entirely in Spanish and my Spanish isn't that good (even after 6 years of studying it -.-) so I'll have to have my SO check it out and see if he can figure it out perhaps All the other .gov sites are basically only for U.S, Australian, NZ, or Canadian citizens who I know have different entry requirements than Swedes so I don't dare trust that information Thank you for the other information though, I will definitely try and organize it like that once I get the basics down!

Comment

Well, you've probably seen this Swedish Immigration page. It looks really organized and I'm sure you'll find the answers for your SO's visa to visit and/or move to Sweden in the future.

As for your visa to go to Argentina, I would suggest you contact the Argentinian Embassy in Sweden. Like you said, most of the information online is going to be for US/Aus/Canadian citizens and may be different for you. So contact the embassy and ask what their different visa options are.

Comment

Even if you don't plan on moving to Buenos Aires - https://baexpats.org/ this looks like it is frequented.

Also this one doesn't look like it's still in use, but maybe you could search through it and find some quick answers?

This looks like a nice website too.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Alle1770 View Post
              I have already tried this, and the thing is that Argentina doesn't really seem to be very good at organizing stuff like this xD They have a general website for the government but it's entirely in Spanish and my Spanish isn't that good (even after 6 years of studying it -.-) so I'll have to have my SO check it out and see if he can figure it out perhaps All the other .gov sites are basically only for U.S, Australian, NZ, or Canadian citizens who I know have different entry requirements than Swedes so I don't dare trust that information Thank you for the other information though, I will definitely try and organize it like that once I get the basics down!
              Good point about the different languages. I didn't even think about hat. /: in that case I would suggest calling the embassy to find out what visa types are available to swedes. Hopefully they can give you some good answers. I have had some bad embassy experiences but I've seen people on visa forums get a lot of help there. (:

Comment

Originally posted by Alle1770 View Post
                Although entry requirements may be different, if you plan on applying for a certain visa or residency those rules should be the same. For example to get a spouse visa to the USA, no matter where you're from, you go through the same process. And to get residency here in CR, no matter where you are from, you go through the same process.

Comment

This looks pretty good https://expatchannel.com/country-pro...a-immigration/
                  Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help! Seems like I'm the one who's terrible at searching for things online, haha I will check out all the sites posted, and have already sent away an e-mail to the embassy, so fingers crossed I'll get some information there!

Comment

Just wanted to add my sympathies about the visa stuff - it's all written in legal language, and I've had a hard time deciphering it and it's in my own language - I'm in the same point as you guys, we're moving US to UK with him coming here, but still the websites need their own translations!

Good Luck!
                      Joey & Scott
                      Met: April 2002
                      Lost Contact: August 2002
                      Reconnected: April 2010
                      Together: May 20th 2010

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                      X