This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confusing visa questions

In about a month and a half I'll be applying for a student visa.
    Since the intensive german courses I'll take last 6 months, I have to apply for a national visa, instead of a Schengen visa.
    I have dealt with american and spanish visas before, and let me tell you I never felt as confused and nervous as I feel now. But ok, here I won't write about me being nervous. I want to share the two questions I feel confused about, hoping somebody can help me out. If you know some german, better, but all opinions are welcome.

My SO is also a bit confused. He has never dealt with visas, but he acknowledges that germans can make any form look more complicated, confusing, just harder to understand, than they really are (he is german!)
    Maybe is not as confusing as we think it is and perhaps we are unnecessarily giving ourselves a hard time trying to understand what they really mean, so maybe getting others opinions can help. -I tried to contact the embassy by email not just because of these issues, no answer yet-

So here I come (English speakers; the form is in german, spanish and portugese, but I'll try to give you an idea in english)

Here they basically ask the address I'll be staying at in Germany. Which will be my SO's place. NBD

Then here's confusing questiong #1

From the spanish version I understand they are asking when did I arrived/entered at that place and from where was I coming from when I did. I have never been to his place, so I don't really know if they are asking "when will I arrive to that address and from where will I be coming from" or what.. Oh yes, there are two asteriks that if you go to the bottom of the page should clarify what they meant. Well, surprise! There are only explanations with one asterik, which applies for some previous questions. Damn it!

Confusing questions #2.
    They go on asking if your permanent place of residence is outside Germany, if so, where. NBD
    Then they ask if will you be travelling with relatives, if so, which. NDB

Then comes confusing question #2

Again If I take the spanish version, I understand they ask what kind of place do I live in (private room, shared flat, house with __ rooms), but then my SO says maybe they are asking about the place I'll be living in (since they asked about it few questions before) Man!!

Why can't they organize the questions according to how they relate to another? why do they mix them? Isn't it harder for them and confusing for the applicants?... Why is the translation into other languages so bad? It's a serious thing and we pay for the visa... and yes, that money is not refunded if your visa is denied.

Sorry if this turned into a rant. Any help or thought will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Schlafmütze; May 1, 2013, 08:42 PM.

Hi Schlafmütze!

I have never dealt with Visas, but I speak german (live in austria), so maybe I can help.

Question 15: they want information on your stay - if you have the address put the address there, so that's fine

Question 18: I'd imagine the ** would say that you have to put the date in in which you will arrive if you haven't yet / put the date you arrived at if you have arrived

The second question is tricky - is the section this question is in all about your current place or the place you would stay in? Maybe that'll give you a clue how you have to reply to it.

Feel free to send me a PM, I might be able to help better reading the full paper!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
    Married: 1/24/2015
    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Confusing Question 1 - Perhaps they are asking for when you will arrive at the mentioned accommodation (Your SO's house). I think that they are asking about where you will be coming from because you may not be coming directly from Colombia (You may do some travel in Germany/Europe first or something.

Confusing Question 2 - I think that they are asking for your housing situation in Colombia. My broken broken Spanish is telling me so.

Is it all possible for you to apply for the visa in English, or is this a requirement of the consulate that you're applying to? I got an Estonian National Visa and I needed my GF to help me because the translations were dubious as well . It wasn't as badly set out like this though but the process was handled quickly (My visa was accepted within 24), so I'm hoping for a similar experience for yourself.

As soon as I get my formal acceptance, I need to apply for a Swedish Residency Permit. Thank god you can do it online...

Good luck.
      Last edited by Tooki; May 1, 2013, 09:08 PM.

Comment

The first question: I found this on another form by searching on google. "**) Ausfüllung entfällt im Ausland - **) Not to be completed if the application is made outside the Federal Republic of Germany."

For the second question, both the German and the Spanish are suggesting to me and my SO that it's what kind of place you currently live in.
        Last edited by kittyo9; May 1, 2013, 10:16 PM.
        Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
        Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
        Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Is there no example visa or a guide how to fill this in somewhere? That's how we applied for our US visa. Guessing won't get you anywhere if you can't find any information online, have your SO call the visa centre. I'm sure they have a service centre you can call!

Comment

Hi guys!!
            Thank you so much for your help and good wishes -8-
            The form Kittyo9 shared, resolved all my questions. Yay! It's basically the same form, but clearer, better translation more organized and complete(especially the footnotes)

Comment

Working...
            X