Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada to the US in 2014 (hopefully!)

Hi everyone,

I'm new here... just wanted to reach out to those who have closed the distance and any advice they could give me. My boyfriend and I have been together for a year. We have both discussed in length about what we want in our future. We discussed Marriage, Kids, Finances etc to ensure we were on the same page. I own my home in Canada and my BF is in the middle of purchasing his in the US. We are both educated in fairly good professions... but in his City it's pretty hard to purchase a house at the moment. He anticipates that he will be able to buy something in early 2014... He has told me he doesn't feel right having me move there until he can take care of me and I have a home to live in. I appreciate that... he took a hit when the economy started to fail and because of that has moved back in with his parents in order to save up for a house.

There are days (like today) that I'd just wish it was around the corner. But in reality, it's probably a year out from now... just wanted to see if I should be doing anything to prepare for a move? The only contingency is the house. We see each other fairly often (at least one, usually twice a month)... we said we'd be married when I move (Fiance Visa etc). I am such a planner, that I just need to be aware of what needs to be done in the next 6 months, instead of waiting until an offer was finally accepted and having to start then and have the process go on for a long time.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Peachy View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm new here... just wanted to reach out to those who have closed the distance and any advice they could give me. My boyfriend and I have been together for a year. We have both discussed in length about what we want in our future. We discussed Marriage, Kids, Finances etc to ensure we were on the same page. I own my home in Canada and my BF is in the middle of purchasing his in the US. We are both educated in fairly good professions... but in his City it's pretty hard to purchase a house at the moment. He anticipates that he will be able to buy something in early 2014... He has told me he doesn't feel right having me move there until he can take care of me and I have a home to live in. I appreciate that... he took a hit when the economy started to fail and because of that has moved back in with his parents in order to save up for a house.

There are days (like today) that I'd just wish it was around the corner. But in reality, it's probably a year out from now... just wanted to see if I should be doing anything to prepare for a move? The only contingency is the house. We see each other fairly often (at least one, usually twice a month)... we said we'd be married when I move (Fiance Visa etc). I am such a planner, that I just need to be aware of what needs to be done in the next 6 months, instead of waiting until an offer was finally accepted and having to start then and have the process go on for a long time.

Thanks in advance!

So my fiance and I did the fiance visa as well, and we just got approved about a month ago. He's actually finally moving here tomorrow, which is funny because he's from Ontario and I'm from Seattle, so kinda really in the same boat. You just wanna make sure if you're taking any cars over that you have a compliance letter for it. He's driving over here so that was kind of the case. Just make sure you have all your forms ready for crossing the boarder. I'm trying to really think of anything else but there isn't much. He was pretty simplistic with everything.
    "I love the stars and the moon because I know that I'm always sitting under the exact same ones as you"

Comment

Make sure all of your paperwork and his paperwork are in order and have plenty of copies of them, make sure if any of the paperwork is outdated make sure it's up to date so you aren't worried about it not being recent. Also this has nothing to do with paperwork but i'd suggest keeping your house in Calgary even after you move to Arizona to be with him once he's purchased his house (it's better to be prepared for the worst then unprepared for the best , also it'd make a good 2nd home plus you could rent it out in certain seasons to make a little extra money).

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Riyko View Post
        Make sure all of your paperwork and his paperwork are in order and have plenty of copies of them, make sure if any of the paperwork is outdated make sure it's up to date so you aren't worried about it not being recent. Also this has nothing to do with paperwork but i'd suggest keeping your house in Calgary even after you move to Arizona to be with him once he's purchased his house (it's better to be prepared for the worst then unprepared for the best , also it'd make a good 2nd home plus you could rent it out in certain seasons to make a little extra money).

Thanks everyone! I've always said since day 1 that I would keep my home. I'm a big believer in investing and since I've worked so hard to get here on my own and he is purchasing his home for us, we would both be better off with this as an investment

I was thinking of hiring an immigration lawyer to do all the paperwork for us. We've never done it before, much like most of you, and I'm just nervous we will file the wrong thing and then wait to get a notice to refile something else and then delaying the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Peachy View Post
          Thanks everyone! I've always said since day 1 that I would keep my home. I'm a big believer in investing and since I've worked so hard to get here on my own and he is purchasing his home for us, we would both be better off with this as an investment

I was thinking of hiring an immigration lawyer to do all the paperwork for us. We've never done it before, much like most of you, and I'm just nervous we will file the wrong thing and then wait to get a notice to refile something else and then delaying the process.
          I really think it's unnecessary money, we did it no problem. But if it makes you feel more comfortable then go for it! (: A great site, if you haven't already looked at it is visajourney.com they are very helpful and answer tons of questions for you (:
          "I love the stars and the moon because I know that I'm always sitting under the exact same ones as you"

Comment

Originally posted by rawrimolivia View Post
            I really think it's unnecessary money, we did it no problem. But if it makes you feel more comfortable then go for it! (: A great site, if you haven't already looked at it is visajourney they are very helpful and answer tons of questions for you (:
            Than you! I have skimmed visajourney in the past but never posted. I think I will join and start posting when I get closer. I'm just having a rough day today... wishing that day would come faster.

Comment

I'm in Calgary too! My fiance and I are in the process of getting the K1 visa and visajourney.com has been the best resource for us. I can't believe how much information is on there!

Comment

Originally posted by missyoulove View Post
                I'm in Calgary too! My fiance and I are in the process of getting the K1 visa and visajourney.com has been the best resource for us. I can't believe how much information is on there!
                Thanks for bumping this! Congrats!

I agree VJ is a life saver. We're doing it ourselves and without a consultant or lawyer. It's pretty straight forward and the only thing that's a bit of a bummer is the wait! Have you sent off your paperwork yet?

Comment

Working...
                X