Distance Closed but Worried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distance Closed but Worried

About a week ago I moved in with my LDR partner and things were going great at first. However... yesterday they came to me and told me they felt like things had been moving too fast, because of how little actual physical interaction we had before the move, and wanted to slow it down. They said it was it low interest in sex. Which, being demi sexual, borderline a-sexual, I was more than okay with.

But they've been increasingly distant in every form of the term. I am constantly being reassured that everything is fine, and that nothing was going to change with how they felt about me. Things still seem cold, much more so than when I first arrived. And I can't help but feel hurt by it.

Is this a natural occurrence?

I think that it is natural that your partner would back away if they were shocked by the quickness of how things are moving. I can't blame them! I also recently closed the distance, and I think it will take awhile before I don't think, "Oh yeah, we're together now" naturally. If I were in your shoes, I would wait a little longer. If nothing changed, I would bring it up to my partner - hey, I know we decided to step back on the sex front, but I'm feeling really distant from you even in other sides of our relationship. How do you feel/what can we do to help solve this? (Etc)
    ~~~

Comment

I would give your partner time.
      From your post, you're the one who moved? Okay, seeing as to how my partner moved to me, I think I can offer a little insight.
      Here's the thing I've noticed in my life, everyone asks how he's handled the move, and to be honest, he handled it better than I did. But anyway, the focus tends to be on the one who moved. The one who stayed in their hometown/house is just expected to be okay. How about no? All of the sudden you go from having personal space to having to find it (I have to escape to the gym. Or go downstairs and do laundry.), you have someone who's not familiar with your house and is ALWAYS asking questions (I love him, but if I have to hear "Babe, where are your washcloths?" one more time...), and everything has a different feel. And if you live close to family, you have to worry about how they're taking the partner too. This is all amplified if you are like my partner and I and met online, where you may have only had maybe (in our case) 3 weeks together in person total.
      So my advice, give your partner some space for a few weeks, and if they don't warm up, talk to them. This could be something fixable.
      Thinking of y'all xoxo.

First Met Online: October 2010
      First Confessed Feelings: December 21, 2011
      Became a "Couple": January 7, 2012
      First Meeting: March 9-14, 2012
      Second Meeting: July 16-31, 2012
      Closed the Distance: May 30, 2013
      Engaged!: June 1, 2013
      Picking out wedding dates now!

Comment

I think this is only fair. When you close he distance everything changes and they've probably worried, over analysed and realised they want more time to establish themselves in this relationship.

I would give them the space they wanted and not push until your ready to have the "is this a relationship you see yourself in" talk. I believe in open communication and allowing people to have time to sort through emotions and anxieties BUT I also believe in open communication.

I'm not sure what "demi sexual" is but if your OK with a limiting your sex life then that's good. In this situation of recommend decreasing forced physical intimacy in place of emotional.

Comment

Working...
        X