Moving from England to America...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving from England to America...

Hello all I'm new here, my SO showed me this site a few days ago, so here I am!

I'm planning on going to university for three years in England, and eventually moving to Michigan, USA to be with my man, but I was wondering whether it's really difficult to do? Obviously it's not going to be easy, but has anyone on here done it? I know it's a long way off, but I'm really getting excited about it and I would like to know everything I can about moving to America and any difficulties I might be faced with?

I'd really appreciate any advice or knowledge anyone has to give! Thankyou xox
    "Absence diminishes mediocre passions and increases great ones, as the wind extinguishes candles and fans fires"

Moving is always stressful, but moving from country to country will be harder. You'll have a hard time adjusting to a lot of things here, if you haven't frequently visited. But this is exciting to read, I wish the best to you and your SO, and I hope those three years go by fast for you.

Comment

Thankyou I plan to go back and visit twice next year (fingers crossed) which will hopefully make adjusting a little bit easier, I'm just freaking out about all the hoops that I'll have to jump through to become a proper citizen really! I'm trying to find a bunch of distractions to help the time fly, I'm so excited to live in America though (even though it's so far off!)
      "Absence diminishes mediocre passions and increases great ones, as the wind extinguishes candles and fans fires"

Comment

Well, I'm from the US and have a decent knowledge of Michigan, so I can give some advice as someone who's lived overseas and understand culture class.

You'll have a lot easier time of it in many ways because US/UK cultures have many things in common. Consequently, it will probably lots of little things that take your notice and frustrate you. In Michigan, as a warning, the job market is very poor and has been for about two decades. You may want to think twice about moving there, or making sure you have either a position or other finances secured before hopping over.

Another thing to consider is that public transportation options in Michigan are basically nil - make sure you're prepared for lots of independence in bad weather, deer mating season (dangerous and NOT to be taken lightly in MI), and sometimes unclearly marked roads. Not to mention driving on the other side.

Good things: It's incredibly cheap cost of living wise in most of the US as compared to the UK, and MI is no exception. The winters, while very snowy, are beautiful.

Although people in the US tend to suck it up less than the UK, there are many kind, compassionate people. The outdoors opportunities there are bountiful and lovely.

Other than that, once you get closer, I'd suggest looking at expat forums to get an idea of things to do before you move.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

I'm right now moving to the US from Sweden.
          I did it to study but mostly to be closer to my SO ofc.
          And well i have to say it's a pretty hard start. I atleast still have much adjustment to do and i've just realized again how much i hate starting a new school. It'll prolly be alot easier when everything settles down.
          I moved to California and will live like 4-5 miles from my SO, which in my opinion is waaaay to far but now i'm just getting greedy.

Comment

Yes, the job market in Michigan does seem pretty bad right now, but I'm ready to overcome any obstacles that get in my way (or, I will be when the time comes haha)
            It's going to be interesting getting used to American living. It's very intimidating to think about but I'm really excited even though it's a long way off already.
            Do you think it would be worth applying for a temporary visa before moving there forever?

You guys are really helpful by the way, thankyou

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the visa too much until you get a little closer, like a year or 18 months out. 3 years is a long time, and circumstances can change a lot in 3 years. I'm in the same boat as you, figuring stuff like this out for my eventual move to Australia - the money I need is intimidating. Sigh.

Comment

^^ to get proper american citizenship can take a long time- a lot of people I know when I was there (I'm English and just went for a year's exchange for school), had to get work visas- where the company you are going to work for sponsers you, rather then apply first for citizenship, as it can take YEARS! I saw on the news before I left, one guy had been waiting 19 years to get his citizenship, but apparently, the fewer people from your country who apply for citizenship, the less time it takes, so being british, the process would probably take less time then, say, you came from india or mexico, where there is a high demand for visas. The way I am getting back to my man in Ohio is, work my butt off this year, and get a 5 year visa to do my phD, then we're gonna take it from there.
                Hope I helped you some!

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

After just moving myself, I have to say it's much harder than it seems to be. I moved from NY to VA (which isn't but just over 500 miles). I miss my friends and family a lot, and already cant wait to visit home. My best advice would be to make sure you PLAN everything.

Comment

Agreed with Nicole. I shouldn't have implied not caring at all. I guess what I meant was don't have your heart set on a specific visa, and instead explore your options so you can know which is your first, second and third options.

Comment

First, need to address this common misconception. To apply for an American citizenship, you have to be living in the United States legally for a minimum of 5 years (3 if you're married to a citizen). What you're looking to apply for is your green card which gives you permanent residence. It's similar to citizenship, but you don't get to vote or serve jury duty or a few other random rights. It's also stupidly impossible to get if you have a criminal record, so keep yourself out of trouble.

Don't do this through marriage. I know a couple trying that right now. He's from England and his wife is American. They got married like...3 years ago I think and he still can't legally live in the US despite being legally married. Then again he's Muslim and people are being paranoid and moronic right now. Same with Latinos, but that's a separate issue. We're right now going through some crap that might result in immigration reform. I don't know yet what side will win. It will either be easier to get in, or like 50 times harder. I hope easier, because our immigration system is already ridiculous and inconvenient for everyone.

Anyway, you got 3 years. I suggest waiting it out a bit more before applying for your green card. Don't do lottery either. Screw it, I'm giving a link. Here. Thank God for the '85 amnesty that gave my mom her green card @_@. Thankfully it'll be easier for you since you already speak English and aren't coming from a "problem nation".

Comment

You guys are so helpful, thankyou so much I definitely have a lot to think about, but 3 years is a very long time so I'll be prepared.
                        Luckily I have no criminal record, and no intention of getting one! I'm really looking forward to the journey ahead of me

Comment

^^ it will (hopefully) be me in 1 year, but I should be on a student visa for 5 years before I have to worry about citizenship =/ but to be with my SO, jumping through all those hoops will be worth it, I'm sure you feel exactly the same about yours =) xx

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                          <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                          The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                          <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                          <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                          Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                          Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

I personally think the biggest problem is all the legal stuff, like green card etc. and the money.
                            Cause movin itself is probably easy, as well as finding an appartment etc but how are you goin to keep goin there if you dont have a job/money etc you have to keep yourself alive somehow.
                            So yea as if a lot of the other said already planning everything is the most important thing.
                            Plus I'd personally always have enough money aside to get a ticket back home cause even if it doesnt work out for whatever reason (lets hope that doesnt happen of course!) I'd still have enough money to come back home, cause I doubt my parents would let me leave on the streets lol

Comment

Don't get so focused on visa that you forgot or simplify the other stuff, like i did.
                              Now i will be fine but just because i'm lucky and quite stubborn.
                              I'm lucky in the fact that my girlfriends parents are really helpful and buy me stuff and help plan my move to the apartment and gives me stuff.
                              I'm also unlucky with the fact that of all the americans i could "pick" from i had to get a minor. Which of course mean we can't live together, even if i'm once again lucky that her parents let me live at there house for a week now.

So yeah don't simplify the after visa part. Maybe you have easier then me to handle it or a completely different situationm, which makes it easier for you. That i don't know.

Comment

Working...
                              X