I'm closing the distance (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm closing the distance (again)

I'm giving this another try. So for those of you who have closed the distance and live far from your family (I'll be 1500 miles from mine) How do you deal with homesickness? Skype isn't really an option, my parents aren't tech savvy. I'm more wondering how you deal with your own hurt and thoughts? Distract yourself? Watch something? I'm not gonna know anyone so it's not like I can just call a friend and go out.

Moving away from anyone is always hard, especially if you've lived around them your whole life.

I won't sugar coat it, it will be hard. For a while. There's no "flip the switch" moment when all of a sudden it's better and you're suddenly not homesick. Eventually, you'll get adjusted to the idea of it and then it will just come in waves, instead of being pretty constant.

Learn something new. A hobby, a language, anything. Pick up a new project if you like to craft. Find a club that does an activity that you like to do already, it will give you people to connect to in your new place of residence. The easiest way to "move on" is to meet new people. Go to a library or community center and look at the bulletin board, chances are there will be postings of groups that are meeting or classes you can take, or pick up a local newspaper.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
    Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
    Progress: Working on it.

Comment

The groups/classes and learning a language are great suggestions that I didn't think of. A great way to keep my mind busy thanks!

Comment

I haven't closed the distance but have experience living apart from my family. My mom is the least tech-savvy person I know and she recently discovered how to use Skype - I bet your parents will give it a shot because they'll want to see your face. Like lyonsgirl said, getting involved in new activities and hobbies, get to know the community and area you're around. When I move to a new area, I like taking walks around the neighborhood, slowly expanding in distance with each walk. It helps clear my head and gets me to appreciate the beauty and uniqueness of my new surroundings which helps to get my mind off of missing home (in addition to giving me a sense of direction in a new place!).
        When two hearts are meant for each other, no distance is too far,
        no time is too long, and no other love can break them apart.

Comment

I have moved many, many, times. I love walking around a new town and getting a feel for it that way. Striking up a conversation with a stranger is fun. Once you get a job, you'll meet friends there.

Comment

Originally posted by MorticianBarbie View Post
            I'm giving this another try. So for those of you who have closed the distance and live far from your family (I'll be 1500 miles from mine) How do you deal with homesickness? Skype isn't really an option, my parents aren't tech savvy. I'm more wondering how you deal with your own hurt and thoughts? Distract yourself? Watch something? I'm not gonna know anyone so it's not like I can just call a friend and go out.
            I personally was fairly sick of my family so homesickness to them was never something that came over me.

My best advice though is to just enjoy yourself at the new place. Just do whatever usually interests you. For me that's easy, I just boot up whatever game I happen to be obsessed by at the time. Oh and enjoy being close to your SO. I tended at least to always have the thought in the back of my head that it could always be worth. I could've been further away, with no SO and with no family, lacking the ability to go back. That usually makes the current situation feel quite a bit better.

Good luck in settling in, just don't give up

Comment

Working...
            X