Closing the Distance and my Career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing the Distance and my Career

A little backstory, my SO and I have been together for 3 years and are only LD while I do an internship in Hong Kong. In my plans, living abroad was always a temporary stop between school and settling into my post-college life in my home state. Hong Kong is a ridiculously work obsessed culture so nearly everyone I meet is the career focused type. Point being I’m getting flack for planning to close the distance and return home after my internship ends. People seem to think I should stay here or go to China and focus on gaining experience or education. Having a background working in Asia can be helpful in future jobs, but there are plenty of successful people that have not worked overseas.

This judgement I am getting is really irritating for quite a few reasons. The idea of giving up the person who makes me very happy for the potential for career advancement seems off. I already have the relationship so many people are l looking for why would I throw it away?

I don’t really owe anyone an explanation, I know, but I still want to have friends for the duration of my internship and don’t necessarily want to hide the fact that I will be leaving. I feel like people are looking down on me for putting so much importance in my relationship. Has anyone else faced doubts from people about what closing the distance would do to your career?

I've never really experienced getting slack for closing the distance over a job. But what I will say is that there's no reason you can't have both. Lots of people in LDRs balance careers,visits, and closing the distance all of the time. Besides,is it really anyones business what you choose to do with your life,career and relationship? You should do what makes YOU happy,and if that means leaving at the end of your internship and returning to your home state and then closing the distance then that's your choice. If your friends were real friends they would just be happy for you and support you no matter what you choose to do. I would consider sitting down with your friends and explaining to them that this what makes you happy,this is your final decision,they should support you. If they can't then they aren't real friends. I'm sorry I don't really have much more advice then that but I hope this helps.

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
    Back Together: August 1,2012
    First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
    Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
    Engaged: January 17,2013
    Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
    Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
    We Got Married! - July 3,2014
    SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
    Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

I agree 100% on having a career plus a relationship! I guess this issue is that Chinese culture people able to be much more invasive without crossing any lines. The friends I mention are not long term friends but more causal ones who I don't really want to have to sit down and give an explanation. My friends and family back home want me to come back and support me. The more I type the more I think this is a cultural shock issue then an LDR one. I appreciate your do what makes you happy view, that's what I needed to hear!

Comment

Working...
      X