Sweden Bound! When? Not sure yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweden Bound! When? Not sure yet.

Hi everyone! I just wanted to give an update about my LDR. We're doing great. He entered the apartment queue (waiting list) in his hometown back in August not dreaming that we would find an apartment for quite sometime. His sister and her fiance has been on the list for almost a year and has heard nothing. However, his work contract was renewed and he got quite a nice raise a few weeks ago. He informed the queue people about this which moved him up the waiting list. Then, he proceeded to tell them about me wanting to move there with him which pushed him even further up the list. The queue person that he talked to said we just had to wait until an apartment that we really, really liked came open because we were now so far up on the list that we could get almost any apartment we wanted!! Now, we're waiting and looking for apartments we like to come open.

I hope that all made sense, haha.

I'm just really excited. It could be months before we find an apartment that we really like, but I'm still glad that we are so far up now. Once we find an apartment, we can start the paperwork for my move!!
    sigpic

To read our love story, click here.

Wow that is great news!! I'm really excited for you!!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
    Married: 1/24/2015
    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Thank you!!
      sigpic

Comment

Kria that is amazing news! So happy for you!

So you are doing the "big leap" and moving all the way to Sweden? How does that feel? How do you think you will cope in living in a totally different culture and away from your family? I really admire people who can do that and would just like to hear some of your thoughts about all of this!

Comment

Thank you so much!

Yes, I am the one doing the moving, and, to be honest, I'm really excited about it. Of course, my family will be sad to see me go, but they know I'll be happy being there with him. I'll miss them a lot. That's a given. My SO and I are going to try to visit my family at least once a year. The culture that I have experienced there so far doesn't seem to be all that different from what I'm used to. Besides the small problem of a language barrier (I say small because most Swedes can speak English, and I am trying to learn Swedish), I don't think it will be too difficult for me to cope with it all. I could be completely wrong though I hope not!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kria View Post
            Thank you so much!

Yes, I am the one doing the moving, and, to be honest, I'm really excited about it. Of course, my family will be sad to see me go, but they know I'll be happy being there with him. I'll miss them a lot. That's a given. My SO and I are going to try to visit my family at least once a year. The culture that I have experienced there so far doesn't seem to be all that different from what I'm used to. Besides the small problem of a language barrier (I say small because most Swedes can speak English, and I am trying to learn Swedish), I don't think it will be too difficult for me to cope with it all. I could be completely wrong though I hope not!
            I don't want to happen your mood or anything (because the news is bloody good) but I have found Sweden to be deceptively welcoming. You may feel 'left out' until you pick up your Swedish and Swedes in general are 'unwelcoming' by *OUR* Anglophone standards.

You should be fine because you have your SO and his family though. Good luck, enjoy your trip to Sweden in a month! (Where does your SO live in Sweden btw?)
            Last edited by Tooki; October 30, 2013, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Any Swede I have met has been more than welcoming and are happy to speak English with me if they know it. Although, I do try my best to talk in Swedish with those who don't know English; although, that only works for very basic conversations. I do have him and his family as well as our friends though, so I think I will manage until I learn more Swedish.

Thank you, but he is coming here this time. He lives in Nyköping.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kria View Post
                Any Swede I have met has been more than welcoming and are happy to speak English with me if they know it. Although, I do try my best to talk in Swedish with those who don't know English; although, that only works for very basic conversations. I do have him and his family as well as our friends though, so I think I will manage until I learn more Swedish.

Thank you, but he is coming here this time. He lives in Nyköping.
                Oh no, Swedes are fine with speaking English, but I've found it to be pretty difficult to befriend any of them, and that is considering that a few of my classes have Swedes in them. I can't say exactly what it is but I know that a lot of it comes down to Scandinavian hospitality and just not speaking *their* language. As I said, it *should* be easier for you because you have Swedes to connect with.

(Going off of your signature, you have plenty of experience with Sweden, I just wanted to impart on you what I've experienced as a foreigner who is currently living in Sweden .)

Comment

I haven't had much trouble making friends with those I have met, but I understand what you mean. Although, it's probably because my SO is Swedish. Thank you for sharing your experience! I didn't mean to come across as negative or anything like that. Where do you live in Sweden?
                  sigpic

Comment

Whooo, congratulations! And welcome to Sweden, in advance, haha! You should be fine I think, in my general opinion, Swedes are pretty reserved (this is just generalizing though, of course there are a bunch of open, outgoing people too!) and even as a Swede it's hard making new friends and contacts xD But, assuming you've got some experience with the culture you should be fine, most people open up after a short while, you just need to "warm them up" :P

Congrats again!

Met online: February 2011
                    Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Comment

Thank you so much! I'm usually good at making friends and such, so I hope that will carry over. I'll keep my fingers crossed until I've made a few friends. Right now, I'm mainly concerned about all of the steps my SO and I will have to tackle before having to worry about making more friends. I just want to get there first.

Thanks again!!
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X