Moving to Sweden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to Sweden

I'm not sure if I'm actually putting this in the right place, but does anyone know anybody who has ever moved from outside of the EU or outside of the Schengen Zone to Sweden to live with their SO? I was simply curious as to how their process went (i.e. was it somewhat easy or very difficult). I hope to be starting the application for a residence permit soon. From what I have read on the Swedish Immigration Board's website, it seems like it would be fairly easy, but, when it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
    Last edited by kria; November 9, 2013, 03:27 PM.
    sigpic

To read our love story, click here.

My bf moved from Mexico to Austria (EU).. it was not really difficult.. we just had to bring lots of papers! He applied for a student-visa, so that's why it was fairly uncomplicated!

Comment

I'll be applying for a resident permit in Sweden to live with my SO. I hope my move will be as easy as your SO's Lilly! Thanks.
      sigpic

Comment

Maybe I can be of some help. I am from Sweden and my boyfriend just moved here a couple of weeks ago from New Zealand to be with me. We were going to get him a Swedish recidency permit, I hadn't even thought of this option before I came into contact with a girl here in Sweden (who also happened to be from NZ) who had done exactly that. And from what she said the process was very easy. It just took a little time. For her 4 months. So that was what we were going to do too but then due to things that happened we needed to sort something out that wouldn't take as long so we ended up going with a 12 month working holiday visa to start off with (which was availabel for certain countries only). But we are planning to do the recidency when those 12 months run out.
        So, we haven't gone through the whole process ourselves yet but as far as I know and from what I've heard it isn't difficult, it just takes a little time. According to someone we talked to at a Swedish consulate there is a waiting list for recidency so she said it could take some 6 months or so to get it, but I doubt it would actually take that long. But you shouldn't have any problems getting a recidency permit if your SO is Swedish and you are coming here for that reason.

Hope that was of some help. Let me know if you have any other questions I could try to help out with. Or message me.

Oh and btw, I saw your SO lives in Södermanland, so do I! Out of curiosity do you mind me asking where?

Comment

Thank you! That is exactly what I wanted to know! We are in the process of looking for an apartment in Trosa (he is currently living there with his dad), so as soon as we find one, we will be starting my application to move to him. I'm really excited.

Besides pictures and plane tickets (and other mandatory paperwork), what would you suggest I add to the application to prove we are a real couple when that time comes? I have tons of pictures of us plus both of our plane tickets from (I think) each trip. I thought about movie tickets but I doubt that will be of much help.
          sigpic

Comment

Sounds good! Trosa is beautiful, very close to where I am. Hope you find an apartment soon!
            As for what things you need for the application, I can't say for sure. We didn't get to that stage ourselves yet since we decided to go ahead with this visa for now and we didn't have to prove anything with that. In my opinion pictures and plane tickets should be enough but I don't know for a fact. Maybe someone else on this forum would know, perhaps for another country but it might be the same? I think it should be enough though.

Best of luck with everything!!

Comment

Thank you for your help. I truly do appreciate it. Do you mind me asking where you live?
              sigpic

Comment

I'm glad to have been of help No I don't mind at all! I live outside Vingåker, which is about an hour and a half from Trosa I would say I'm finding it really exciting that someone from this forum will be so close!

Comment

Originally posted by AuroraBorealis View Post
                  I'm finding it really exciting that someone from this forum will be so close!
                  I was thinking the same thing!
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X