Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to Close the Distance, but those damn visas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to Close the Distance, but those damn visas!

So my SO lives in Scotland, and I used to live there too for three years while I was studying. We literally had the most perfect relationship and everything was wonderful, UNTIL my visa ran out and I had to come home to the US. I am so depressed and lonely and lost without him, and I just don't know how much longer I can spend apart from him. I have spent hours and hours and hours looking up immigration laws and trying to find a loophole but the UK just doesn't want me. It's so frustrating that money-wise and emotion-wise it would be so easy for us to close the distance (I mean I already lived there, and have friends there!), but one silly stupid law is standing in my way. Any advice?? I know that if I closed the distance we would be together forever, white picket fence kids type thing, but if we can't, I just don't know what will happen...

Getting married is pretty much the only way to make it happen without getting a job that will sponsor your visa.
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Visas suck. If it's important to you to move to the UK then you'll find a way. It might mean being LD for a while, but you'll find a way.

Is your SO moving to the USA for 3 months on VWP not an option?

Comment

He's actually still in Uni in the UK. That's where we met. It might be a possibility once he finishes, but that's in another two years. I'm a few years older than him. We both do musical theatre so that makes it even harder, because we basically have to go where the jobs go, but I'm willing to put that on the back burner for a few years if it means getting a chance to settle down with him, and have a life together. We've definitely discussed marriage but that'll be somewhere down the line as he's only 19 and I'm recently 21.

Comment

Working...
        X