Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What changed in your relationship when you closed the distance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What changed in your relationship when you closed the distance?

Hello everyone!
    Me and my SO plan on closing the distance as soon as possible, maybe within a month, and even though I am super excited, I am also little afraid about the changes in our relationship when we will be living together. Because there are many couples who already did it, can you give me some advice what should I expect?
    Thank you!

Well, before I moved here I heard a lot of hype about how drastically our relationship would change because living together is super different blah blah blah. Actually, though, not a lot changed. Some things, secrets and stuff, came out of the woodwork but otherwise he's just been the same old Liam. Because we'd talked so much and are so alike we had pretty good ideas on what to expect from each other.

Comment

Each relationship is different, you should try your best to remember that. Our issues that come up may not be yours, and so I am hesitant to reply. I will, but please, make sure you're reading replies on here knowing that the things that other couples may encounter, you and your SO may or may not.

For us, we got married right after we closed the distance. So that brings up challenges on it's own. We had lived together previously, so we had kind of figured out the whole "chore" thing. Even now, though, we're struggling with who does what. Like, do I wash all the clothes, or does he wash some and I wash some? What about dishes? Honestly, it's the "little" things that can be the biggest issues. Don't stress out about them, and you'll be good to go.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
      Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
      Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Nothing really changed for me at least; we'd lived together for a few months before so we know each other's habits/preferences. My SO doesn't really get any time by himself at the moment as I am at home all the time- he goes to work then comes home to me, but he doesn't seem to mind that. He'll find something to do outside the house if he wants some alone time anyways.

Otherwise, chores- I do most of them because I'm not in school/employed yet- my SO just takes out the trash on a weekend. Its fair right now, but once I'm working we'll have to figure it out again.

Also, working out finances. Spending habits? Are you going to merge incomes to pay for rent etc together, or are you going to split bills... will you have a weekly/monthly budget? Lots to figure out and discuss there!

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
        <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
        The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
        <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
        <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
        Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
        Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Nothing really changed when we closed the distance. I guess the only thing is that we had to learn each others habits and such. We had spent lots of time together, weeks at a time, before we closed the distance. But, you don't really know someone till you live with them!!! For us, it has worked out great!! Good luck to you!

Comment

My s/o and I recently closed the distance almost three weeks ago and it has been "interesting".

The reason I say that is because we are still in the process of learning each other's habits and getting used to living together...As far as chores/bills are concerned-I for the most part keep the house clean while he maintains the yard work and trash. He and I both make sure to pick up after ourselves or whatnot and if any of us have an issue, we discuss it...In terms of bills, he pays the rent and I pay for the utilities.

My s/o currently is working out of town on a project so in terms of me having alone time and finding time to get to know the area-I have my "me" time when he is away working. He usually comes home Thursday or Friday nights and during that time we are together 24/7 which can be a good as well as a bad thing lol.

All in all things definitely changed, but for the most part the changes have been positive.

Comment

Working...
            X