Need advice about US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice about US

Hello everyone! I've seen a few threads about people willing to move to the US already but I was looking for some advice about my case, maybe also from people that have been able to close the distance and that have been through the same experience.
    I am going to visit my SO in the US for a month but of course we are planning to close the distance and live together in the future, and I would like to move there with him.
    I was thinking about a few options but wasn't totally sure which one would work best; would I have any chance to find a job and get a visa to work there? I am going to finish high school this year and I'm not planning to start university or keep studying in the future.
    Would it be easier if we got married? How long should I wait till I would be able to live and work there permanently?
    Would a relative that lives there be helpful to get the green card? Any advice would be very appreciated thank you

Work visas are near-impossible to get in the US. The only way you'd be able to manage it is if you work in a very specific, highly sought-after field, like STEM. You pretty much either have to be a professional student until you complete the residency requirement for citizenship (ha, this is actually what I'm doing in France!), or get married.

You're very young and your English seems solid, so you really should go to university, as a student visa would definitely be your best bet. University is very, very expensive in the US, however--dramatically more so than Europe, unfortunately. Financial aid (grants, scholarships, etc.) does exist, but again, in comparison to Europe, it's fairly limited.

Good luck!

Comment

I agree with the poster above that university with a student visa is probably your best bet. But again, university is very expensive in the US (my student loan payments make me cry every month when I have to send them in). But I see from your post that you said that you do not want to continue with any schooling. In that case, getting married would be your best bet VISA wise because work visas really are incredibly difficult to get. But if you're just finishing up high school I would make sure that moving away from your family and getting married is what you want to do right now.

Comment

Unfortunately I can't afford studying there at the moment, I should find a job here and save money and maybe I would be able to, but it might take a long time and I feel like I would be back to the same point in the end. I guess I will look for a job here and keep saving money for visits and to get married; I hope it won't take too long to get the citizenship then

Comment

There are schools that seek after foreign exchange students and will give them scholarships. Don't be afraid to check out schools near your SO and ask. Don't just look at big school, look at community colleges. Even if it is just 2 years it can get you set up better for a bigger school while you pay less at first.

Comment

Originally posted by Thendsnotnear View Post
            Unfortunately I can't afford studying there at the moment, I should find a job here and save money and maybe I would be able to, but it might take a long time and I feel like I would be back to the same point in the end. I guess I will look for a job here and keep saving money for visits and to get married; I hope it won't take too long to get the citizenship then
            I think you are confusing residency with citizenship. When you get married, after a long visa process (check my ticker, that's how long it's taken us so far and we're not done yet!), you get a greencard which gives you residency in the USA. A GC lets you work, live and pay taxes in the USA. After having that GC for either 3 or 5 years, you can apply for citizenship. This is where you are granted a USA passport and get to vote.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
              I think you are confusing residency with citizenship. When you get married, after a long visa process (check my ticker, that's how long it's taken us so far and we're not done yet!), you get a greencard which gives you residency in the USA. A GC lets you work, live and pay taxes in the USA. After having that GC for either 3 or 5 years, you can apply for citizenship. This is where you are granted a USA passport and get to vote.
              Yes, residency is what I meant, sorry, and thank you for your explanation

Comment

Working...
              X