Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

She's moving here to Canada and we need to tell her parents ...any advice ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She's moving here to Canada and we need to tell her parents ...any advice ?

With her finishing up collage online we have decided in the next half a year we are working towards the big move her coming her to Canada. we have all the details worked out. But now comes the big part she still lives with her (very crazy, parents, her mother being a very........attached woman if that's really the right word for it O.0') and we are soon about to tell them that we have made a decition on who is moving where and when and how we plan on doing it :S can any one give us some advice as to how a good way to tell two people that close in your life that your moving to another country ??

Make it make sense to them. Never tell them you are just moving there because of the other person, because this is not a good enough reason to move anywhere.
    I told my parents about the money I could be making with my degree as a teacher in America. It is almost twice as much as I would make if I started working here. This is a good reason for them to let me move. I would not only be with my husband to be, but I would also have a good life over there with someone who treats me right and loves me. If need be, I would also be able to support myself if it didn't work out.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
    Married: 1/24/2015
    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

HMmm thank you we are taking that approach we have taken time to lay out all the pros and cons of each area to show them that we have completely thought about this responsibly and all the way through. her mother and father are rather patriotic. and as of such her mother has made several comments about my future schooling and how being in america would be better for that. though she is assuming that i want to go back to school, considering I've already started my career as a chef here. what we plan on doing is sitting them down and gently and going over how much we care for each other, how long we have thought this through and that we have come to the decision on who is moving where. then walk them through the process of how we came about our decision, and then the process in which how we are going about the move. giving them proof to back up our pros and cons as well as showing them mock budget sheets on how each area would effect the path of our future lives together. does any one think this is a good way to go about it ?

Comment

Being honest and upfront is never a bad decision. I would emphasize on the pros! I hope you have thought things through well as moving to another country is never easy! Good luck

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
        Married: 1/24/2015
        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I just recently told my parents I was moving across the country myself the other day. I tried to put a really positive spin on it, I opened it as a discussion and not a statement as well. Meaning I said something along the lines of "I am moving to ___, what do you think about that? Do you have any questions?" This let my parents know that while I intend to go no matter what they say, I'm more than willing to hear their questions and concerns. I told them about the great schools up there and how much moving would benefit me.

Notes:
          Met: 8.17.09
          Started Dating: 8.20.09
          First Met: 10.2.10
          Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

My boyfriend is currently looking to move to Canada. May I ask how you figured out the details?

Comment

I wonder that too since there is a huge visa freeze. Please share

Comment

well we are taking our own route on this and it's a different one indeed. some people may not agree with our approach but to each there own. as of october 18 (when the season dies down (because I'm a cook) I'll have an oppertunity to take a week off and settle her in. what we are doing is she will be coming here (just as a visitor) for 6 months. we contacted the government or CIC (Canadian Immigration Center) they told us that certain countries need a visitor visa others don't the U.S.A being one of them. so she will be staying with me for the time. though it is not a complete move it gives us many benifits toward spousal or common law immigration. the benefits being that, we will have the time and oppertunity to get married, and file out all the paper work there is to applying for spousal immigration. since she will not be able to work while she is here I will have to support her, giving us the benefit of saying hey look I've been able to support her for this long there should be know reason I cannot when she can legally work here, it will also show the government that she has spent a great deal of time here with me and that our relation ship is a true and legitimate one, for when applying you must give proof that you are not just doing this to "bring a person to Canada" so we will have pictures proof of living together and various other things toward building our life together. it's not so much we are finalizing the distance instantly as we are setting ourselves up for approval. there is a chance that she may have to go back for a while until the application is approved but once approved she will then be allowed to live and work in Canada as my spouse. <3

Comment

Originally posted by Jablez View Post
                  well we are taking our own route on this and it's a different one indeed. some people may not agree with our approach but to each there own. as of october 18 (when the season dies down (because I'm a cook) I'll have an oppertunity to take a week off and settle her in. what we are doing is she will be coming here (just as a visitor) for 6 months. we contacted the government or CIC (Canadian Immigration Center) they told us that certain countries need a visitor visa others don't the U.S.A being one of them. so she will be staying with me for the time. though it is not a complete move it gives us many benifits toward spousal or common law immigration. the benefits being that, we will have the time and oppertunity to get married, and file out all the paper work there is to applying for spousal immigration. since she will not be able to work while she is here I will have to support her, giving us the benefit of saying hey look I've been able to support her for this long there should be know reason I cannot when she can legally work here, it will also show the government that she has spent a great deal of time here with me and that our relation ship is a true and legitimate one, for when applying you must give proof that you are not just doing this to "bring a person to Canada" so we will have pictures proof of living together and various other things toward building our life together. it's not so much we are finalizing the distance instantly as we are setting ourselves up for approval. there is a chance that she may have to go back for a while until the application is approved but once approved she will then be allowed to live and work in Canada as my spouse. <3
                  I don't know about anyone else, but I actually think this is a very well thought out plan. I wish you guys luck, and that's so exciting!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X