Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 1/2 weeks until we close the distance (after 10 years)!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 1/2 weeks until we close the distance (after 10 years)!

So...it just dawned on me today that it is exactly 2 1/2 - 3 weeks until my fiance and I close the distance after 10 loooong years. My heart is pounding just thinking about it I need to start gathering boxes and slowly start packing up here and there.

Does anyone have any tips for ROAD TRIPS? I'll be driving from the Midwest to Florida and it'll be a long 24+ hours. It'll just be my car; no trailer or anything because I'm not bringing any furniture (he has all we need).

Tell me your stories and/or provide me with any tips you have! I'd love to hear them!
    Last edited by ashleecarol; July 17, 2014, 03:21 PM.

*~*~*Forever & Always*~*~*

Sorry, I don't have any advice, just wanted to say WOW and CONGRATULATIONS! Hope you guys all the happiness in the world!

Comment

Congratulations :-)
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

WOW, Congrats!!
        10 years LDR is insane! I'm almost at 4 years and I want to pull my hair out sometimes.. kudos to you!
        [CENTER]

first met: ~10.03
        became official: 28.03.11
        first meeting: 08.06.12 - 24.06.12 (jason in vancouver)
        second meeting: 18.07.13 - 30.07.13 (jason in vancouver)
        our first vacation together: 30.07.13 - 20.08.13 (cynthia in new orleans)
        third meeting: 14.12.13 - 03.01.14 (cynthia in new orleans)
        fourth meeting: 21.05.14-02.06.14 (jason in vancouver)
        surprise! 13.08.14-27.08.14 (cynthia surprises jason in new orleans)
        viva las vegas: 21.12.14 - 24.12.14 (c+j vacation together in vegas!)
        jason's 1st canadian christmas: 24.12.14-02.01.15
        my first mardi gras: 12.02.15-20.02.15

Comment

I don't have any, but wanted to say........congrats!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

My cousin moved from Virginia to California to be with her husband. She drove as well and all she kept saying was that music saved her life, because there were many times that she was a bit behind schedule and so drove late into the night to catch up and the music kept her awake. Hope that's helpful but it may not be.

Congrats by the way! That's amazing!

Comment

Congrats on closing the distance soon!
              I drove from California to Washington, DC in 2011. It was a bit draining but fun to see so much of the US. Tips/things that helped me:
              1. When you feel yourself getting drowsy, pull over at a rest stop and walk around a parking lot for a few minutes. If it's at night, park near an open store and go into the store just for a moment before getting back in the car. Those few minutes of movement really helped when the drowsiness would start.
              2. Sipping something, like coffee or water, or chewing gum, basically anything that forces a part of you to move a bit.
              3. Singing along to the music or chatting with someone on the phone (handless device, of course!).
              4. Get enough rest the night before setting out so as to not be tired from lack of sleep or sluggish from too much.
              When two hearts are meant for each other, no distance is too far,
              no time is too long, and no other love can break them apart.

Comment

Congratulations!! I don't have any road trip advice since I haven't been on one for as long as you are taking, but good luck and I'm sure you'll be fine..just stay awake and pull over when you need to. Maybe break it up into two trips so you don't have to be too tired on the road.

And thank you for sharing!! I've only been in this relationship for almost 4 years (known each other for almost 5) and it will be about 10 years (give or take a year or two) when we finally are able to close the distance.. so this gives me more hope and happiness to see a long term couple like yourselves close the distance finally. I hope everything works out great and you adjust to closed distance life together as quickly and as smoothly as possible!!

Comment

I don't have any advice other than what has all ready been given. I just wanted to say congrats! Ten years is a long time and it's amazing that you were both able to stay strong and make it work! I wish you both the best and enjoy being CD!
                  Our love story:
                  Attended the same high school 2004-2007
                  Dated CD: June 2009-July 2010
                  Reconnected: August 2012
                  Began dating LD: November 2012
                  Engaged! March 2014
                  Closing the distance: December 2015

Comment

I've made the 1200 mile trip back and forth a number of times. Here are my tips:

- I really, really think you should book a hotel or plan to sleep in the car over night. Yes, people make the drive without stopping but the effects of sleep deprivation are the same as alcohol intoxication; the longer you go without sleep and the more tired you are, the more likely you are to be in or cause an accident. You wouldn't drive any distance under the influence of alcohol, so be smart and plan to rest.

- when you stop to get gas, get out and move around, eat or drink something to keep your brain fresh.

- keep your bag with essential stuff (phone, Chapstick, snacks, water, etc) on the seat next to you so that you can access it easily if needed. Charge everything before you leave.

- get your car checked before you go: oil change, tires rotated and inflated fully, the whole shebang. You don't want to have any mechanical issues in an unfamiliar area.

Congratulations on closing the distance and best wishes for a safe trip
                    In all the world there is no heart for me like yours.
                    In all the world there is no love for you like mine.
                    -- Maya Angelou

Comment

since you are about 1200 miles apart, You could either drive straight there(19 hours/65 mph) or I would probably make it a 2 day trip and drive a 12 hour day and then drive the remaining miles the next day. You would be less exhausted and that would make for a better reunion when you finally make it to Florida.

I have made about 4 or 5 trips to Wa. from the Midwest and I listen to lots of Music, but after a while you will get tired of music and so then I listen to talk radio or just have some peace and quiet.

Stop every 200 miles or so at Rest stops to stretch your legs, get something to drink or something to snack on, it also helps to break up the drive a bit. You can also bring a cooler with stuff to snack on and drink but still stop and stretch your legs at regular intervals.

I usually sleep in my car, but since you are only driving 1200 miles or so, find a nice cheap hotel/motel and get a good night sleep

And Enjoy the Trip, drive safely, you have been waiting 10 years to close the distance, no need to drive fast, just to save a few hours, be safe.

Congrats

Comment

Thank you all so incredibly much for you kind words and tips! It means the world to me and I'll definitely take the words of wisdom to good use about taking breaks, packing a cooler, and getting my car checked out before I go. Of course, many of these things I had planned to do, so it makes me feel more comfortable knowing that everyone else is saying the same things.

*~*~*Forever & Always*~*~*

Comment

Working...
                        X