VISA USA, temporarily (~2yrs) CD.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VISA USA, temporarily (~2yrs) CD.

My girl is about to come over to see me in my country shortly and I know that she is going to bring up that topic.
    She is studying in the USA and still needs 2-3 years to finish. I will finish my degree soon, but can keep on studying for another semester - which I will do. I don't think there is anything better than being a student and having all course requirements met already.
    What she doesn't know is: I nearly would have applied for an internship at her city a year ago (when we were not romantic).
    I was wondering if you girls and guys know whether there is a difference in terms of visa when being still a student?
    I am also unsure at what time I would start the process...
    I have had a 1 year stay in the USA on a J1. Is there a way I can transfer it to F1 so I would be able to work here in the next two years without the employer having to pay visa etc...?

Are you still the in the US on the J1? As far as I know, you cannot transfer visas as you are proposing. To switch to a work visa, you need the employer validation (and therefore paying for) your work visa. Another poster might have different or more information. The best place to obtain the information would be USCIS.gov.
    When two hearts are meant for each other, no distance is too far,
    no time is too long, and no other love can break them apart.

Comment

You need to be a highly skilled worker for any employer to be willing to sponsor you for a work permit. I have been looking for international work for my SO for last several months and they all require you to already have a work permit before you can even submit an application. His position was for a bi-lingual job that would allow employers to bring him in without "giving away USA jobs, but none would even let him apply. We ended up successful by applying in the EU where he already holds a work permit. I also have been looking for work in UK and found the same problem, regardless of my skills, I have to wait till I have a residence card with a work permit before I can even apply.

I would be very careful about trying to change your VISA until you know beyond a shadow of a doubt you can get a USA employer to sponsor a work visa for you. Be honest with them that you don't have one and don't assume if the recruiter swears he will make it happen, he will be able. This is not something that companies want or have to do anymore, so most of them don't.
      "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Www.visajourney.com is your friend

Comment

Originally posted by conejita_hada View Post
          Are you still the in the US on the J1?[...]
          Yes.
          Thanks for the link, I'll be looking into it.

Comment

Looks like I would need to think about an H1B (or maybe O1) visa or some sort of student's (F1) visa if the position allows me to get a phd at the same time.

What is meant by "fiscal year"?

Comment

Fiscal year refers to the financial/budget distributions in the a given year. The US government fiscal year starts October 1 and goes until September 30.
              When two hearts are meant for each other, no distance is too far,
              no time is too long, and no other love can break them apart.

Comment

Anyone knows about internship option with a J1?
                I have seen that I can have an exchange (J1) visum for up to 18 month, because I will just have graduated, which would allow me to do a paid internship.
                I am researching about the application process (for both internship positions [blind applications] and visum) as well as tax regulations and if there are any limits on salary...
                I was wondering, if some of you might have gone through that or if you know good resources of information.

Comment

Working...
                X