Animals in the move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Animals in the move?

My SO and i have planned to close the distance as soon as things allow (this could be anywhere between 6months and 3 years)

I like to plan things ahead, and i see one HUGE problem, I have a lot of animals: a cat a hedgehog and three rats. I realize i wouldn't be able to bring their cages since they are all custom built and huge- but what happens with the animals? I once was told something about having to keep them in quarantine for 6 weeks or so, but my hedgehog cannot go through that, they are very hard to get to trust you and him being alone would be really bad for our bond and his health. I REALLY dont want to get rid of my animals but with the way rats and hedgehogs are they just wouldnt be the same after being left alone for 6 weeks.

Has anyone dealt with this? Does anyone have any idea? This is oddly the biggest concern i have in this upcoming move!(not that i dont have a million and one other concerns >_>)

Originally posted by TheCatAndTheFish View Post
    My SO and i have planned to close the distance as soon as things allow (this could be anywhere between 6months and 3 years)

I like to plan things ahead, and i see one HUGE problem, I have a lot of animals: a cat a hedgehog and three rats. I realize i wouldn't be able to bring their cages since they are all custom built and huge- but what happens with the animals? I once was told something about having to keep them in quarantine for 6 weeks or so, but my hedgehog cannot go through that, they are very hard to get to trust you and him being alone would be really bad for our bond and his health. I REALLY dont want to get rid of my animals but with the way rats and hedgehogs are they just wouldnt be the same after being left alone for 6 weeks.

Has anyone dealt with this? Does anyone have any idea? This is oddly the biggest concern i have in this upcoming move!(not that i dont have a million and one other concerns >_>)
    It is not as horrible as you think. Go to your vet and get them all up to date on shots, make sure they have their rabies and ask about getting them a EU pet passport. USA is a country that has low number of rabies so I don't see why you can't bring them all if you prepare for it. You need to show a current rabies shot and a clear blood test, most times you can do the quarantine at home. I don't understand about the cages, you will need to ship them as cargo and they will need crates for that. I have shipped dogs before and have prepared my cats for ferry travel in EU. If you want any further help, feel free to PM me.

You animals will deal and would be much worse off without YOU. Don't leave them, take them if you can. Quarantine is not what you think if you prepare and use a vet. It means you take your pet to get a shot and keep them home, then you bring them back and get a blood test, once clear you take them back home and wait a month. The only time your pet is taken is if you don't prepare and try to forgo the rules. Our cats are doing their quarantine right now in his apartment in the Netherlands sleeping on my bed.
    Last edited by Hollandia; August 30, 2014, 10:21 PM.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Your first stop should be googling the animal import regulations for the country you intend to bring your animals to. They will outline what the protocols are for importing, such as species that can be brought over (hedgehogs may not be permitted to be brought in period), what health measures need to be taken (health certificate signed by your primary veterinarian, vaccines required, blood work), all that stuff. They'll address quarantine that may be necessary, too. Once you figure out what is required, make an appointment with your veterinarian well in advance. We always get blind sided by people that need tests, vaccines and paperwork done before they leave...tomorrow :P give your vet plenty of time to work with you. That being said, if you don't have an exact date yet, it isn't the time to make the appointments as vaccines, tests and certificates will expire after a certain period of time (determined by the country you intend to go to).

With increasing globalization of society, quarantine is extremely important to protect not only the health of your own pet but the health of the resident pets, farm animals and even humans that consume animal products. I know it sounds far-fetched that your pet would bring in a disease, but it happens and the consequences can be devastating. Fortunately, depending on the facilities, you may be granted access to visit daily which might alleviate the stress of being separated

Good luck in your research!

Edit: here's a good place to start: https://www.government.nl/issues/agr...he-netherlands
      Last edited by rhabdoviridae; August 31, 2014, 01:47 PM.
      In all the world there is no heart for me like yours.
      In all the world there is no love for you like mine.
      -- Maya Angelou

Comment

Working...
      X