Canadian getting an apt in US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian getting an apt in US

Does anyone have any info about a Canadian renting an apt in the US (Utah). The cost of a hotel for a week at a time (I visit every month or 2) is equal to getting a small studio apt. My work schedule allows me to travel to see my BF and I've been considering looking into an apt for myself. Are there any restrictions I need to know about? It's really no different than staying in a hotel except that I'd be committed to a 6 month lease. I would still be in Canada working 3 weeks a month flying back and forth. Don't want to do anything to jeopardize my passport. Can anyone offer any advice or know where online to look for info on this? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by mizzzkaren; September 4, 2014, 10:02 PM. Reason: extra word

Originally posted by mizzzkaren View Post
    Does anyone have any info about a Canadian renting an apt in the US (Utah). The cost of a hotel for a week at a time (I visit every month or 2) is equal to getting a small studio apt. My work schedule allows me to travel to see my BF and I've been considering looking into an apt for myself. Are there any restrictions I need to know about? It's really no different than staying in a hotel except that I'd be committed to a 6 month lease. I would still be in Canada working 3 weeks a month flying back and forth. Don't want to do anything to jeopardize my passport. Can anyone offer any advice or know where online to look for info on this? Thanks in advance

Honestly, I think it would be more hassle than it's worth. I don't know anyone that's done it, but you'd probably need to talk to both an immigration attorney and someone in real estate.

I'm not sure if you'd need a visa, but my guess is that you probably would, because renting an apartment would indicate living in the US.
    Do you currently own any property in Canada? I think you'd be able to make a better case that you're mostly living in Canada if you had a permanent residence there. (But then, I think that only really helps if you'd be buying a second/vacation home in the US, not renting.)

Is there a reason you can't skip the hotels and stay with your boyfriend?

Comment

I might be totally off-base with this, but I think doing that would make you a part-time resident of the US. That will seriously complicate your taxes.
      Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Rent it in your BFs name
        sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
          I might be totally off-base with this, but I think doing that would make you a part-time resident of the US. That will seriously complicate your taxes.
          True, though again I think it depends on so many other factors.
          They have things in place if it's not your permanent/primary residence, but I have nooo idea what sort of reciprocal tax payments Canada has. It might be that they would deduct whatever you've paid Canada in taxes from what you'd owe Utah/the US government, but it would definitely get messy quick and absolutely need to be handled by a tax accountant who had international tax familiarity.

Comment

Originally posted by TaraMarie View Post
            Rent it in your BFs name
            I thought about this first too. But a contract situation like that might get a little hairy if they haven't been together long.

OP, I'm betting there is a way to do this. People do have vacation homes and things like that. I still feel like finding an affordable hotel is probably cheaper or maybe just slightly more expensive (depending on how much rent is over there). By the time you include utilities, maybe renters insurance and the cost of professional help to keep taxes and residency issues straight, it's probably best not to bother.

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

Originally posted by TaraMarie View Post
              Rent it in your BFs name
              And if they break up before the lease runs out? Not a pleasant thought, but one that must be considered, if you want to be smart about it.
              Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I travel every month to Turkey and we rent an appartment together. It is in his name, which I kind of regret because it would be useful to have my name on it to get a bank account here, but also it is easier because he takes most of the daily care of the flat. If it was in my name I could get some kind of temperal recedency, but it would not influence my taxes unless I BOUGHT a flat here. We are also on a 6 month lease which we will probably renew next month. If giving your name on the lease can give you taxation problems then put just the name of your SO. I have payed six months lease and "garden fees" in advance so if we break up and quarrel I loose it, wheras he is stuck with electricity and water for the remainer of the time which is quite a good incentive to be nice

The cost each month for me is about the same as a cheap hotel, but here I can store things which is great because I study on my visits and I bring almost no clothes, cosmetics and such. Also, we can store food, we can cook and there is proper ways for me to do laundry. For SO it is great because he was tired of living with housemates since forever, apart from him sometimes being a little lonely it is a big benifit to him. It has brought our relationship to a new level and I absolutely reccomend it if you can make it financially. I spent my tax return money on the lease, that way I only have to think about flight fare and food.
                I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I don't know if you'll see this at all, but whereabouts in Utah? As each county and city have different requirements for renting (some will rent to anyone, while others require you to give them every thing you own including your first born and very good credit. along with some don't care what country you are from where as others won't rent to you unless you have a visa that allows you to live in the US)

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Working...
                  X