UK to USA, we need more options!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK to USA, we need more options!

I currently live in the US and my boyfriend has recently discussed getting married. He lives in the UK and although we don't plan to get married for another two years due to grad school, we have been looking at our options so we can get a head start. We alternate visits between each other every 2 to 3 months so we are very convinced that we have found the one and would like to plan our future. He has looked into the fiance visa but he doesn't want to be here in the US for several months and have to depend on my income to support us. Are there other options that any of you recommend?

Well the fiance visa lets you apply for a work permit as soon as you're married and takes 3 months to get, so yeah you two would depend on your income.

This question is probably better asked in the visajourney forums as they have more insights on the different visas. I also suggest reading the guides and helpful threads about the different visas. I am sure you two will find something that will suit you both. www.visajourney.com

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
    Married: 1/24/2015
    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Originally posted by schneeblylove View Post
      I currently live in the US and my boyfriend has recently discussed getting married. He lives in the UK and although we don't plan to get married for another two years due to grad school, we have been looking at our options so we can get a head start. We alternate visits between each other every 2 to 3 months so we are very convinced that we have found the one and would like to plan our future. He has looked into the fiance visa but he doesn't want to be here in the US for several months and have to depend on my income to support us. Are there other options that any of you recommend?
      Not really.
      The fiancée visa is really probably your best way to go. If he doesn't want to depend on your income, he can try spending the next couple years saving so he can contribute? But either way, even the visa app itself requires you to demonstrate that you make enough money to support him (I think it's 150% of the federal poverty guidelines, so something like 22k these days.)

Other visa options would be studying here (wicked expensive and not permanent) or getting a company to sponsor him as a non-citizen so he can work. (Very difficult and fairly unlikely.)

Comment

Working...
      X