This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Copenhagen to USA...

I'm trying to find information to help bring my fiance over from Denmark. All we've found online are more questions, and we're both getting frustrated to the point of madness. I almost threw my desktop through a window...

Does he have to apply for a fiance visa? Or can he just come here with a visiting one and we get married?
    I'm married now, but will be divorcing soon. How long do I have to wait after that is finalized?

Just... how the heck do we even get started, the government websites are so confusing, and when I called the person I spoke with was about as helpful as a sponge.

No, you can't get married with him coming on a tourist visa. I think that is pretty universal that you can't do that. You have to apply for a fiance visa in either of your countries, or go somewhere else to be married under the laws of that country.

I don't know about US marriage laws, here you can get married right away after you get your divorce papers and you both can get a "certificate" that you are fit to be married.

I assume the reason you are having a hard time finding information, is because they see that you are married and get confused as to what you are asking. Have you started the seperation process? Have you and your ex discussed how to settle things with money and assets? To get a fiance visa you must be able to prove you can support him, by yourself, so it is very important for your application that you have already seperated your economy from that of your ex.
    Last edited by differentcountries; November 4, 2014, 12:08 PM.
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

things with my ex are complicated, and I really don't want to get into it here. we're working it out together.

thanks, about the visa info. i'll be looking into that a bit more.

Comment

Working...
      X