Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving within the European Union

Hi Everyone!

Eventho it's still gonna take one and a half year, me and my boyfriend are already thinking about how we are going to close the distance.

First, because he still has to finish his study, I will move there for a year <not yet, but as i said before, in 1,5 year. Then, when he is finished, he will come and move here. But I am just so confused about the rules within the European Union. I actually thought we were really lucky, because I understood that it is easy to move and live within the European Union. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or is it actually way harder than I think?

Of course I am not naive and I think that everything will go that easy. I just always thought that, just practically looking at it, it was not thát hard to do in the European Union (looking at a visum etc).

I would really like to know a little more about this...

Thanks in advance

Btw: He is from Hungary, I am from the Netherlands

What will you do to support yourself in that year?
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

My SO and I moved quite a bit between our countries.
      It's really quite easy within the EU.

Do you have any specific questions?

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

@ Differentcountries: I am going to look for a job of course. Right now I am studying and I am hoping to go to Boedapest for a year, where he lives, and find a job there (i already have a possible company in my head, it's international and has a dutch department.)

@Dziubka: Well, for instance, if I move there just for a year, should I go back every 3 month, or.... How else, and how easy, is it to just stay there for a little while? And when my SO wants to move here, to the Netherlands, for a really long period (or forever), how hard is that?

Comment

If you get a job in your SO's country you could apply for a work visa. That is related to the lenght of your job, so if for example you get a job for a year the work visa doesn't expire after 3 months but after a year. If you don't have a work visa, or it runs out, you have to go back after 3 months. If your SO wants to find a job in your country, he can also apply for work +work visa. Do you have any knowledge of the languages in the other country? That always helps for work.
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I knew that within the EU most of countries dont require Visas.
            Anyway this site is very useful, you choose a country and it's written everything you need to know to move, to work, to live, etc. https://www.justlanded.com/en It also tells you which countries require Visas and which dont.

Comment

No, differentcountries, this is INSIDE THE EU. EU citizens don't need work visas for other EU countries.

Ambert, you can look up the EU immigration laws online (they should be available in Hungarian and Dutch as well), if you're unsure but it basically works like this:
              You can stay up to 3 months without registering. In theory, if you stay longer than 3 months you need to register with a local authority (otherwise there's a fine, you won't be deported or anything) In Germany that was a matter of not more than 10mins, in Poland it took over a month The registration may also be necessary if you need an official adress, a tax ID, etc.
              You need to prove that you have the means to support yourself in the new country. In Germany they just take your word for it, in Poland it was enough to show a credit card. It can also be a work contract or a saving's account. You can probably look that up for your countries.

In practice, it's almost impossible to prove that you've been staying longer than three months. If you say you've been home or to a neigbouring country last week or last month, then it will be very hard for anyone to prove you wrong.

You can also try the EVS (European Voluntary Service) programme, if you just want to go to Budapest for a year.

Comment

Hi all...
                I have a question related to this.

I talked with a co-worker about my SO willing to move to Netherlands (she lives in Ireland).
                But my co-worker said it isn't as easy as I thought.

He said I needed to pay a kind of bail/guarantor for the next 5 years of her.
                I should have a job with an income of a specific amount, she has to do integration test and stuff and it's real expansive he said...
                Does anyoen have experience with this?

Comment

Originally posted by MyBadLife View Post
                  Hi all...
                  I have a question related to this.

I talked with a co-worker about my SO willing to move to Netherlands (she lives in Ireland).
                  But my co-worker said it isn't as easy as I thought.

He said I needed to pay a kind of bail/guarantor for the next 5 years of her.
                  I should have a job with an income of a specific amount, she has to do integration test and stuff and it's real expansive he said...
                  Does anyoen have experience with this?
                  You can look up the requirements for EU immigration online (https://ind.nl/EN/individuals/reside...or-eu-citizens). They're really not that complicated.
                  Your co-worker was most likely thinking about the immigration process for someone from outside the EU.

Comment

Working...
                  X