Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proof of funds for visa

Hey everyone,

so my boyfriend's planning to move to my city on a study visa next year. The thing is that they ask you to prove that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay, and he probably won't by the time he applies for the visa. He'll get paid about two months after that, and then he'll have more than enough, but applying then would make things pretty complicated. Do you think it would work if I transferred some money to him so it would be in his account and he could prove he has it? Or would the visa people find out and deny his visa?

Thanks!
    first met in 2008 -- started talking online again in 2011 -- decided to go on a date in 2012 -- actually started dating on our first visit in August 2013 --
    second visit in February 2014 -- third visit in June 2014 -- fourth visit in September 2014

Don't lie with your visa. You might ask his work to prove that they own him money.
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

The funds need to be in that account for an extended period of time. Also if all of the sudden a large chunk of money goes in, they'll notice. The funds are necessary for him to be able to support himself until he can find a job. The country doesn't want to let in a bunch of people that are going to seek assistance because they don't have the set amount of money required by law

Comment

As far as my own research and a trip to the immigration office told me, how much money he needs to prove that he can sustain himself will vary depending on where he moves. Living in Münster for example is going to be less expensive than Hamburg. Have you already planned how he's going to live during the months before he's paid? Is your SO saving up money already now? Either way, I'd get in touch with your local immigration office and ask what specifically counts for this requirement and how much money it has to be exactly. If there are relatives or close people he can live with, for exampe, I could imagine it being less. Only the respective people in charge can make the call, though, so definitely ask! Good luck!

~
        It'll take a lot more than words and guns
        A whole lot more than riches and muscle
        The hands of the many must join as one
        And together we'll cross the river

Comment

Which visa will he be applying to? Studium? Sprachkurs ohne Studium? Last year I moved to Germany for 6 months and I came with a student visa to learn the language, with no intentions of furthering my education in Germany. I also needed to prove I had the funds to support myself during the 6 months I was going to be in the country. There were two ways of doing so:
          a) Sperrkonto mit mindestens 659,00 € pro geplantem Aufenthaltsmonat // 7908,00 € pro für das erste Studienjahr
          or
          b) Verpflichtungserklärung gem. §§ 66-68 Aufenthaltsgesetz, die in Deutschland ausgestellt wurde (nicht älter als 6 Monate und mit dem Aufenthaltszweck: Sprachkurs)

My SO and I used option B, even though in the praxis I brought my own money and paid for my classes, train tickets and all that stuff. Which is less than they ask you for. If your SO is coming to just learn the language, maybe the Verpflichtungserklärung could be an option for you guys? As long as you can prove you have to funds to provide for both of you. If not, maybe your parents?. Since he is bringing his own money, none of you will have to provide for him -we all hope hehe-, it is just a way to meet the visa requirement. However, for more accurate information visit the immigration office in Münster or the embassy's website.

Comment

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I was already thinking it'd be a bad idea, but Schlafmütze especially had some great alternatives!

His work doesn't really owe him money -- that wouldn't be a big deal. He's currently working on a computer game and its release has been pushed back a few months, meaning he won't get the money for the sales in February or March as we expected, but in June or July. The problem is that I already bought flight tickets for him (he'll come here in the beginning of April and leave again in early June), and the plan was for him to enrol in a language school when he comes here in April, and to apply for the visa, too, and then after spending two or three weeks back in the US, he'd move here on his visa for good in early July, and start taking German classes then.
            That already sounds pretty complicated, but if he can't apply for the visa in April or May because of lack of funds, then it would get even more complicated. He'd have to apply from the US, drive to the consulate which is a couple hours from where he lives, etc. etc.
            Both options Schlafmütze mentioned sound good. My parents could do a Verpflichtungserklärung or I could; I don't make enough money to support two people, but I have quite a few savings and I could probably do a Bankbürgschaft and get a Sperrkonto for him. I'll call the local Ausländerbehörde (foreigner's office) and ask.
            first met in 2008 -- started talking online again in 2011 -- decided to go on a date in 2012 -- actually started dating on our first visit in August 2013 --
            second visit in February 2014 -- third visit in June 2014 -- fourth visit in September 2014

Comment

Working...
            X